Any Garand Owners Shoot at Canadian Valley/ Banner Rd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I played with that rifle while I was there yesterday morning. I came in once and noticed one of the two enblocs he had on the counter was gone. Coolhandluke, were you there before 10:30? If you were, we were there at the same time.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coolhandluke, very cool that you got a garand. Sorry our schedules never lined up for you to shoot one of mine. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Jim

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I played with that rifle while I was there yesterday morning. I came in once and noticed one of the two enblocs he had on the counter was gone. Coolhandluke, were you there before 10:30? If you were, we were there at the same time.

If I remember correctly I was there on Saturday from 2:00-4:30 and again on Sunday from 4:30 to around 5:30. What did you think of the rifle? Harry said it was a cmp special grade but from what I've read those have new production stocks and barrels. Mine has the '55 SA barrel a what looks to be an original military stock, but it has no stampings...not even a cmp stamp. Makes me wonder if it is actually a cmp rifle? I didn't get a hang tag and paperwork, just the hard case and manual.

Last edited:

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I was there on Saturday from 2:00-4:30 and again on Sunday from 4:30 to around 5:30. What did you think of the rifle? Harry said it was a cmp special grade but from what I've read those have new production stocks and barrels. Mine has the '55 SA barrel a what looks to be an original military stock, but it has no stampings...not even a cmp stamp. Makes me wonder if it is actually a cmp rifle? I didn't get a hang tag and paperwork, just the hard case and manual.

You were there after I had already gone. The one rifle had a "new" stock on it. The other rifle had what looked like an original stock. The top one looks just like the one I got from the CMP. I didn't notice if it had a cartouche or not, sometimes those can be pretty faint.
How does it shoot?

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe instead of a Special Grade, it is a Service Grade Special. Service grade specials look about the same as the special grades except they don't have new barrels.

Also, if it is a new commercial stock, sometimes a little fitting is necessary. Here is a thread that shows some of the stuff to do.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=41117

Jim

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle that I picked up was the one with the original birch stock. The one on top was $300 more. I actually preferred my cheaper rifle over the more expensive one with the new walnut replacement stock since it hadn't been recrowned and didn't have any CMP stamp. The only negative about the stock is that there is a hairline crack on the charging handle side of the rear handguard. As far as I can tell the rifle shoots great although I don't really have anything to compare it to. I only shot a few rounds through it at 50 yards and came up with right around 2.5" groups. I know that's not that impressive and I should hopefully be able to shrink that down after I get used to the sights, trigger, etc. Harry said that someone had shot the rifle Saturday morning and put all 8 shots in the 10 ring at 100 yards so it will probably outshoot me.

Here are a few pics that I snapped this evening. BTW...the serial number has been partially edited if it looks strange in the photo.

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Garand005edited.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Garand012edited.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Garand020.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe instead of a Special Grade, it is a Service Grade Special. Service grade specials look about the same as the special grades except they don't have new barrels.

Also, if it is a new commercial stock, sometimes a little fitting is necessary. Here is a thread that shows some of the stuff to do.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=41117

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. That link will definitely come in handy if I ever have to buy a replacement stock set.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did a little more research on the rifle. Looks like the serial number does not date the receiver to 1942 like I was told. It is 1955 dated just like the barrel. Everything looks to be SA parts with the exception of an HRA marked bolt and gas plug. I was able to find a nice unissued buttplate at the gunshow over the weekend...the one that came on it was plenty worn and pretty much only had checkering left on the trapdoor. I also was able to find an oiler and an original ammo belt. A bayonet, combination tool, and fleece lined carry case are still on my want list. I've been looking at a Schuster adjustable gas plug too, but I probably need to buy a can of HXP from the CMP website before purchasing anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom