any muffler guys here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most convertor failures are due to cataylst efficiency, which turns the ck eng light on with DTC(S) P0420, P0430. This means that the convertor is not cleaning the exhaust emissions to a calibrated threshold set by the manufacturer due to EPA/Govt regulations. Alot of convertor failures can be attributed to other vehicle system failures i.e. ignition system-misfires, fuel system-over fueling, etc... or just simply old age, or physical damage. Worst case scenerio is the convertor stopping up causing a loss of power, cheapest alternative is deleting it from exhaust system. PM me if you have further ?'s

reinaldo

Marksman
Reaction score
If you got a bad catalytic converter or looking for a muffler, you may see this list of mufflers and get what you needed if you don't have any as of this moment or there is a need for you to replace it again.

Griffinreich01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard great things about Fantasy muffler on 23rd and air depot.

While we're kinda on the subject, I've got an 08 mustang, would removing the cats but leaving the mufflers trip my check engine light?

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
depending on the application i would replace it with a piece of exhaust pipe.

No offense to the poster, but this is a common no-no. Really bad idea! They are a part of the system for a reason. You will lose torque and MPG doing this redneck trick. The heads, exhaust, and most importantly the camshaft is designed to have the MINOR amount of back pressure a cat creates. Without it you start scavenging your A/F mixture(sucking your raw fuel right out the exhaust) during the valve overlap. No vehicle that came with a cat performs better without it unless it is failing in some way and creating a non standard restriction.

Also let's throw in that it's illegal, and can get your vehicle impounded. If the day comes that OK picks up emission inspections it will be too late. It will cost you 10x as much to have it replaced.

What is telling you that your cat is bad?

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of the family owns an exhaust shop. The name of the shop is

Benders, phone number is (405) 616-1646 Ask for Ben Poindexter, he does great work and at an honest price

Shop is located at S.W. 89th and about Robinson.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had duals put on one of my P'ups and six months later had a rattle sound coming from the exhaust... took it back to the guy that did the work... he said my carb was leaning ... he proceeded to cut off cats, hammer them out and weld them back on... didn't have any problems after that...

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we're kinda on the subject, I've got an 08 mustang, would removing the cats but leaving the mufflers trip my check engine light?

Yes it will turn the light on. There really isnt any reason to remove a working cat on a newer vehicle, 2000 or later. They dont cause as much restriction as people think

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"No vehicle that came with a cat performs better without it " Seriously? For one back pressure has nothing to do with it, and any engine besides mainly 2-strokes do not benefit at all from back pressure, its a very common mis-conception though. What you do want on some applications is exhaust scavenging and only at certain RPM's, which can be related to back pressure but its not the same at all, back pressure is bad. I dont recall seeing dragsters running restrictive headers, convertors or even mufflers for that fact.

If we did follow this theory of back pressure, how much is too much? Is more better? What is so magical about a exhaust convertor to produce said back pressure at a correct level. If this is true, why do they have high-flow cats, performance/high flow mufflers and exhaust etc...?

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"No vehicle that came with a cat performs better without it " Seriously? For one back pressure has nothing to do with it, and any engine besides mainly 2-strokes do not benefit at all from back pressure, its a very common mis-conception though. What you do want on some applications is exhaust scavenging and only at certain RPM's, which can be related to back pressure but its not the same at all, back pressure is bad. I dont recall seeing dragsters running restrictive headers, convertors or even mufflers for that fact.

If we did follow this theory of back pressure, how much is too much? Is more better? What is so magical about a exhaust convertor to produce said back pressure at a correct level. If this is true, why do they have high-flow cats, performance/high flow mufflers and exhaust etc...?

That is a long an uninformed statement. Your education supports this how? I don't mean that in such a rude way, but I would love to know what instructor or school would teach you such complete non-sense.

Last time I checked John Force was not driving the Top fueler to work. Your basis for thought is of absolute horsepower on an engine built for such. It alos sounds amazingly like what you heard in magazines and on saturday power block TV. Aside from that it is completely wrong..... Let the man cut them off, deal with a constant engine light, misleading ETC's from then till he sells it for nothing, and crap sound. Seems sensible to me.

Sorry but all science and training says cutting them off is stupid, the opposite of posotive for every aspect of performance, and as about hillbilly thought as you can get. Do you have anything to show that deleting what the mfr. has spent millions on research for is wrong, or do you just listen to the boys who tell you that it did wonders for their truck? Fact is that nobody that does something stupid to a vehicle will tell you they screwed it up.....

Do what millions of vehicles, dollars, and people know to work. Not to mention the obvious science and results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom