Any plumbers on board?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As per this schematic re outdoor faucet:

freezeproof_faucet_OverLg.jpg

Are all such faucets constructed like this, viz. the faucet screws into an adapter?

I had a plumber tell me that to replace my faucet, I would have to do so from inside the house. I.e., tear off sheetrock, etc. I assumed he was saying that because he assumed the faucet was sweated onto the supply line.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a plumber but this is a job that I have done. Yes they can be twisted loose. The problem is you’re risking leaks and other damage that could mean a bigger job. So most just cut the Sheetrock so they can get to it. Sheetrock isn’t that expensive. In rental properties I sometimes install an access panel instead of patching the Sheetrock so it’s easy to get to in the future.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I managed to bust mine once, It twisted right out on me. I had to cut the sheetrock and get in there, wasn't bad, but the copper piping was pretty flimsy.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well hate to rain on the parade but sometimes the plumbers will soldier the faucet on instead of screwing it on. i had to replace one and went to unscrew it and twisted the pipe into and when i opened the wall up they had soldiered it so had to replace some pipe and and other parts.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On an older house, check to see if there is an access panel. If not, you'll need to make one, on one side or the other of the wall thru which the pipes pass. Access panels are sold at the big box stores. The reason you must open the wall is to get a wrench on the adapter fitting so that you do not twist the pipe in two when trying to unscrew the faucet from the outside wall.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours are from the '70s and have rubber washers. The assembly is over a foot long (maybe 18"?).

I've replaced the washers, but I also held a backup wrench on the assembly so it wouldn't twist inside the wall.

Unfortunately, mud daubers (or something similar) filled the back one up and I can't even turn it's handle. I keep a plastic cap with a tiny (1mm-ish) hole on the front one now.

It's always sumthin' ...
:drunk2:
___

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good advice. Sometimes professional plumbers still don’t properly estimate where to cut the hole and you still have Sheetrock repairs even if you want an access panel. You have to account for the wall thickness and estimate how long the faucet is. Some viewing holes may be best before marking and cutting the hole for the access panel. After that it’s pretty straight forward. Sometimes they’ll try to install something that doesn’t fit nicely. Like the faucet ending up not flush with the siding or brick. Depends on how perfect you want it. A skilled handyman may be a better bet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom