1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Anybody in OKC build AK's?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Repairs' started by avtomatkalashnikov47, Apr 16, 2020.

1. avtomatkalashnikov47

avtomatkalashnikov47 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    i just bought a few Yugo m70AB2 kits, never built an ak before. im gonna be in for a long expensive hobby it seems. i guess these Yugos take a 1.5mm receiver and the tools for these parts are a little bit different.

just wondering if anyone else has experience with these. i thought about getting ahold of a gunsmith and just paying to have them build it for me, but i bet they want a ridiculous amount of money. i might as well buy all the tools to build as many ak kits as i want if its gonna cost me that much.

2. HEAVYMETALMATT

HEAVYMETALMATT Marksman

About to start work on the same kit with a Childers 80% receiver. Still haven't amassed all the tools myself though. I agree, after getting the tools you might as well make an ak for every event. I know Childers has ffl receivers too if you did want to pay someone to do it.

3. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've thought about venturing down the road of building an AK but haven't taken the leap yet.

If it's as addictive as putting together an AR watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    JBI armory in Denton assembled my ak74’s for $225 plus shipping, I supplied all parts and the receivers. Jim is a top shelf builder if not the best. He has done 2 builds and several pap pistol side and underfolders

bigred1 likes this.
  5. SHOTGUN12

SHOTGUN12 Sharpshooter

I hate to rain on your parade, but I know just enough about building these things to also know that there’s no similarity to building an AK and assembling an AR15. If you’re the least bit limited in the skills and equipment required for this, you’re in for more than just a new “hobby”.

There’s several guys around that can do this for you, but it wouldn’t be just a weekend project for you.

Unless you have a good 20 ton hyd. press and the other tooling and fixtures you’ll need, you’re up a creek without at least having someone around to help you.

This is not to say you’re totally screwed, but research the procedures and what will be required, as much as possible before committing to a project like this. You might be money ahead by just hiring an experienced builder to do the work, especially if they have all the goodies needed to do the job. There are allot of AK builders around, and probably the best place to start, is over on one of the AK47 websites, where there are plenty of tutorials by experienced builders, and go from there.

Have fun.

BobbyV and bigred1 like this.
  6. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you decide to pay to have it built, I think Two Rivers on south Bryant in Okc can do it.

7. BlackDeath

BlackDeath Marksman

I had Two Rivers fix a canted sight block and a broken sight spring. They do excellent work and used to build the Yugos from kits for Century I think.

http://tworiversarms.com/

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  8. avtomatkalashnikov47

avtomatkalashnikov47 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    yeah well, i have lots of experience with these, have watched tons of videos for quite a few years on building them and i finally found a cheap parts kit so i jumped on it. i just figured i would throw it out there that after 10 years of owning atleast 30 different ak's im finally starting to build one from scratch. ive converted atleast 10 saiga rifles and shotguns in my time and did a few for a couple friends.

today i Just removed a barrel pin on the kit i got for now.

going to be a long road ahead of me but im very serious about this. i will need alot of tools, i just figured i would ask if anyone else had the stuff to build them seeing as how it quickly adds up , were talking minimum of probably 1000-2000$ just in specialty tools to for the purpose to build Ak's.

people told me to reach out in my local area and see if anyone else had been building them that would be kind enough to help me and let me use some of their tools and spoke of how in the day they would have "build partys" where everyone met up to build these kinds of guns.

id much rather build it myself than send it to someone else. no one will give this gun the time and attention to detail and care as much as the owner would because its going to be my gun.

now i got to figure out how to press the barrel stub off and remove the rear sight, going to be a long term project i do on my very little free time.

so i guess im gonna be buying a bunch of tools to actually start building these things if everything goes alright and nothing comes up.

9. Judi

Judi Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I would like to jump in here...

If anyone has that rivet crusher...I have two rivets that need to be crusssshed...Help !.

10. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Old thread but the harbor freight 20 ton press has good feedback for this work