Anybody tried a belly band holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus HGPT745 coming in, and I'm wandering how I'm going to carry it. This is the slim sub-compact .45, but it's still too big for pocket carry. I located an ankle holster for it on Ebay. What I was considering when I'm wearing a tucked in shirt, is one of those belly band's. While it wouldn't be real fast access, all it would involve would be unbuttoning a couple of buttons and reaching in cross-draw style for my weapon. This pistol is still going to weigh about 23 ounces loaded. I was just wandering if one of those wide belly bands could handle that.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both a Galco belly band and Galco ankle holster to carry a Kimber Ultra Carry that weighs 25 oz.

I don't use either of these holsters very often for different reasons...

The belly band secures the pistol reasonably well, but it's difficult to draw the weapon from the holster. I think that's because it's a one-size-fits all, non-contoured strip of leather simply sewn on top of the elastic band. When I use the belly band, I put the pistol on my left side about 5 inches below my armpit. The belly band holster positions the pistol straight up & down, not canted. So drawing the pistol is neither smooth or fast. Even wearing an undershirt, sweat is also a problem, if your pistol slide is steel. I think the best way to consider the belly band is as a "deep cover" holster.

My Galco ankle holster is comfortable, well constructed, and molded for a small automatic. But at 25 oz., that little 1911 still feels heavier around the ankle than I would prefer. Ideally, the holster would be positioned a little higher than ankle level, so it isn't immediately visible when I sit down. But the weight of the gun pulls down the holster to the top of my shoe after a few strides - regardless of how tight I strap on the holster. The other downside is that even with a compact 1911, it's fairly obvious that there's something big down there flairing out my pants leg. (IMO, ankle holsters are better suited for snubbie revolvers and puny little .25s, & .32s.)

The ankle holster is a better carry option than the belly band, though. Certainly a faster draw.

As much as I'd like to like these holsters (because I paid $$$ for 'em), they're still a far cry from a good IWB or belt holster.

Hope this helps.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that elastic wrapped around my tummy could create a sweat problem. I figured access would be limited, and was looking at one simply from a deep concealment standpoint. I just didn't know if the weight would be a problem. I'll probably still get one just for that purpose. First I've got to see exactly how big this thing is I bought. Thanks again...aj

Latest posts

Top Bottom