Anyone else getting thier stuff ready???????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Season started 7 days ago!!!

5 sets of hunting clothes to rotate. Each is washed in a no-scent/baking soda mix, then placed in a giant 10 gallon zip-loc bag with greenery from the area we are going to be hunting - usually cedar branches and oak leaves. Same for our coats, gloves, neck gators, hats, etc.

Everything is left in the bag until we are on-site. we change in the truck and head out. Keeps the smell of the dogs, the scentcy, dinner, kids - all that 'domestic stuff' out of the clothes.

Have yet to get busted doing it this way, then again we are in a ground blind, so we have that going for us as well.

Boots get a coat of mink oil AFTER the season and are stored with activated charcoal bags in each boot. once on the feet at the site, they get a heavy spray down (tread included) with de-scent spray.

We use cheap no scent soap before we head out.

Once temps really drop, we ease off the scent regimen, but still spray boots etc.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny!
I did all the loose your scent stuff only to be treed by 2 hounds.
Never again.
Buddy smokes cigarettes and the deer come running.
Many times talking quietly with friends at high noon on the way out of the woods i have had deer walking behind me.

We have had deer including HUGE rack bucks walk up on us while fishing the river bank or just talking in the woods.

Dang things are curious.
For all you guys with camera's out taking pictures..try this.
Find an old small radio that will play for a couple days turned down low.. put it out in an area and wait for the deer to come up and smell it.

I used my own urine for attractant,, buddy stated a deer stopped 400 yards away from him where he left his mark.

I tried it and sure enough within a couple hours i am dragging a deer out of the woods . In my jeans and T shirt with orange on.. no scent killers.

If you do like scent killers I feel camp fire smoke is tops.

But no i have not started packing.. would take me about 15 minutes and i would be out the door though.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny!
I did all the loose your scent stuff only to be treed by 2 hounds.
Never again.
Buddy smokes cigarettes and the deer come running.
Many times talking quietly with friends at high noon on the way out of the woods i have had deer walking behind me.

We have had deer including HUGE rack bucks walk up on us while fishing the river bank or just talking in the woods.

Dang things are curious.
For all you guys with camera's out taking pictures..try this.
Find an old small radio that will play for a couple days turned down low.. put it out in an area and wait for the deer to come up and smell it.

I used my own urine for attractant,, buddy stated a deer stopped 400 yards away from him where he left his mark.

I tried it and sure enough within a couple hours i am dragging a deer out of the woods . In my jeans and T shirt with orange on.. no scent killers.

If you do like scent killers I feel camp fire smoke is tops.

But no i have not started packing.. would take me about 15 minutes and i would be out the door though.

I get my boots treated a few weeks ahead of time is about all I do. My clothes are washed in no scent and they are no scent blockers. Never have used any scents and such, and I am like you. I have seen guys that smoke and such. Who knows?? Hope everyone is getting ready and getting time to get out there and stomp around in the woods!

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm all set for rifle season. This past weekend I got my stand strapped in better and adjusted, feeder setup, camera setup, all that should be good to go beside checking the card and refilling the corn. Most of my gear has been washed in scent free soap and the stuff Ive been wearing out there while working has a slight scent of Permethrin. All that stays stored in a rubber tote. So when it's time to go all I have to do is grab the tote, my backpack and rifle and head out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought i could smell people's breath that are near me way sooner than i smell their clothes.
Unless they are smokers or they use perfume.

I actually use Dove fresh scent antiperspirant, Yes this is for women.
But it keeps my pits from going rancid .. and it does not take much...I do it because i can't stand myself after an entire day without it.
So what do you guys that scent up use for your breath..Or is it scent down!

Do you take food out with you? Do you spit on the ground?
Do you fart in that tree stand?
Do you take water?
Do you pee in that empty water bottle?
Yes nasty things that have scent.
I DO NOT take water with me in the woods.. and NO food.

What about the call of mother nature?
I know 90% of us take toilet paper out with us.
Man that eclipse made the moon GONE!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm all set for rifle season. This past weekend I got my stand strapped in better and adjusted, feeder setup, camera setup, all that should be good to go beside checking the card and refilling the corn. Most of my gear has been washed in scent free soap and the stuff Ive been wearing out there while working has a slight scent of Permethrin. All that stays stored in a rubber tote. So when it's time to go all I have to do is grab the tote, my backpack and rifle and head out.

I have never hunted from a Tree Stand. When younger, I would climb a tree from time to time. I am looking into getting a Go Pro camera to film my grandkids hunts. I am enjoying helping them get ready and will enjoy their hunts. I have had my share of hunts over my life time. But I do think it is cool, the videos of guys hunts. I wished more would film them. I have used pine needles from where we hunt to pack into some clothes years ago, before scent block clothes came out. It is mind blowing to me, the changes in hunting that I have seen. Wish everyone the best of luck this year and all have a successful hunt. I still say, that a bad season of hunting still beats hands down, being at work!!!!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been shooting my muzzleloader, I use a climbing stand at one place I hunt, so that's all gtg.
The other place, ladder stands are gtg.

Clothes - I'm not up on the scentblock stuff so much. I used to think it'd help, and I do use scent-free deodorant, but that's about it. I only use my hunting clothes for hunting, so they don't reek like a sweaty old man.
Hunting knife is sharp. Freezer's pretty bare.

I'm ready.

Latest posts

Top Bottom