Anyone ever hunt in Iowa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might try to put something together this year or next. My boss' parents have a farm in Iowa. Can you guess the crop they grow? Corn.

Looks like i can get a hunt out of it for the price of some summer sausage. Looking over the website had me confused looking at hunting licenses. just wondering if anyone had hunted in Iowa and if they had a glimpse on their licensing of nonresident hunters.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've hunting there three times durning late muzzel loading season . I know you have to buy a doe tag before you can buy a buck tag . Iowa raised their tags two years ago . I think you have to put in for the draw by June / July . You can get all details on the Iowa fish & game web sight . We had real good luck in the late Dec. - mid Jan. hunt . Good Luck

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live next to IA. Have a really good buddy that lives there. A few things. Yes, it is shotgun, muzzleloader, bow only. No rifles, EXCEPT a late doe only season in some of the southern counties. It will take you about 4 years to draw a tag. It is $50 a year just to apply. So you will have $200 tied up in that alone. PLUS, they force you to buy a doe tag with your buck tag. Buck tag is around $450 and the doe tag is around $150. So, it will cost you around $800 total for an IA buck tag. Its crazy, but people buy them in the droves.

Last and most important. NOT ALL OF IOWA IS EQUAL. Believe it or not, there are parts of IA that SUCK for deer!! I mean OK has more potential than these parts of IA. A lot of IA has excellent deer hunting, but just wanted to warn you, its not all that way! So make sure your in a good spot before you spend all that time and money.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live next to IA. Have a really good buddy that lives there. A few things. Yes, it is shotgun, muzzleloader, bow only. No rifles, EXCEPT a late doe only season in some of the southern counties. It will take you about 4 years to draw a tag. It is $50 a year just to apply. So you will have $200 tied up in that alone. PLUS, they force you to buy a doe tag with your buck tag. Buck tag is around $450 and the doe tag is around $150. So, it will cost you around $800 total for an IA buck tag. Its crazy, but people buy them in the droves.

Last and most important. NOT ALL OF IOWA IS EQUAL. Believe it or not, there are parts of IA that SUCK for deer!! I mean OK has more potential than these parts of IA. A lot of IA has excellent deer hunting, but just wanted to warn you, its not all that way! So make sure your in a good spot before you spend all that time and money.

BINGO

We are having this discussion on another site right now. Even Non resident "land owners" still have to draw a buck tags, and it's still only every 3 years or so.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the information I was looking for. From the common man's stand point. Why would you spend that money. From what my boss is telling me they are thick in the area his parents have their land. Thick in numbers and body size. however ouside of that I couldn't tell you. He honestly couldn't tell me more as he could care less about deer hunting.

They will have hunters come through from time to time asking to hunt on the property. They rarely leave without a filled tag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom