anyone have a smith reccomendation around tulsa for bobtailing 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a springfield LW operator I would love to get bobtailed. How much should that cost and anyone know a smith close to tulsa that could do it?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not certain if Dr. Greyson does bobtail conversions, but either he or Mike at Accurate Iron would be the only ones I'd trust to do one for me. It's a bit of a drive for either, but well worth it.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A concern when bobtailing an Aluminum framed 1911 is the small amount of frame "meat" for the mainspring housing pin to go through.

Can it be done? Sure!....... But can it be done badly? Yep. I recall the Ed Brown website advising against doing it to Aluminum frames years ago.

If the aforementioned Gunsmiths aren't available, consider one of the high volume places, like Novak's, Yost or EGW (Not sure if they do work anymore). A place I used for info and ideas a while back is http://www.ontargetcgw.com/basefile/1911-2.htm .

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unsafe, you may be on to something. I looked at a Kimber advertisement on carrry pistols. Looks like many are bobtailed but it appears that the aluminum framed pistols have a rounded main spring bottom...not a full bobtail. Maybe this is how Kimber keeps enough meat in the pin area for strength.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hold that thought Dubs. I just read a magazine article about Kimbers. Three new Kimbers in this group. The full size has a steel frame but the commander size and the small Ultra are aluminum. The commander is bobtailed. The Ultra has just a slight rounding but the article says its not bobtailed since the grip is already so short. I now say you should go for it and bobtail the frame. I have done this myself using an Ed Brown bobtail jig kit. Check it out and see what you think.