anyone wanna organize a LINUX install party???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mainly cause i am sick of windows, and dealing with spy/mal/ad virus ware...

so, purely for selfish rreasons. but i assume there are others out there that want to do the same thing but are hesitant as it can be a daunting task....

lion and tigers and drivers oh myyyyyyyyy!

Captain Fuzzybritches

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Local LUGs used to have Linux install fests on a somewhat regular basis, but now distros have matured to the point that there's really no need.

E: Also the user groups are way friendlier than they used to be, so you can ask "dumb questions" on the Internet without getting flamed like used to happen on the old mailing lists.

Captain Fuzzybritches

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that while running Linux has some advantages over Windows it also has disadvantages. If you're just tired of malware and stuff you may be better served by just taking better security precautions and saving yourself the trouble of learning a new OS.

If you do go the Linux route, I'd advise you to dual-boot, at least at first. It's nice to have a Windows partition to run home to when you're still working the kinks out.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Gentoo fan myself, but just recently installed Kubuntu. It was the easiest Linux install I've done yet, and auto recognized pretty much all of the hardware on my new laptop.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ubuntu is great. Fedora is nearly as good.
Both are plenty easy to install now days.

My first linux install was slackware back around 93 or 94? Wasn't that fun?

Now days I run 64bit Windows7 with 32bit Ubuntu in a virtualbox VM.

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will donate a hard drive to anyone who wants to install Linux without deleting their Windows safety net. I have about ~40 of them, so PM me if you want one that you will use for experimentation with Linux. I can't provide a commitment to tech support, but may be able to help to some degree. You will need the skill to install the disk yourself. I have IDE, SCSI3, and SATA. I don't have many laptop-sized ones, if any. None of them are huge, but all of them are more than adequate for a righteous Linux installation. Just PM me if you want one, and which architecture you prefer. I'm in Tulsa/Bixby and will meet face to face at a place and time convenient to yours truly.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heh. Installing Ubuntu is waaay easier than a Windows install these days. I cut my UNIX-Like teeth on Linux and OpenBSD back in the mid 1990's.

Some of you may even want to download a 'LIVE' CD and give Linux a test drive. It will run off the CD and not in any way harm your computer. Although it will be a little slow as it is running off your DVD/CD drive and not off a nice fast hard disk.

Another good Linux Distribution is Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) it has a lot of multimedia codecs built in.

My daily driver is an old Athlon 64 system running Ubuntu 10.4

I'm even finding myself happier with Linux than MacOS-X.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that while running Linux has some advantages over Windows it also has disadvantages. If you're just tired of malware and stuff you may be better served by just taking better security precautions and saving yourself the trouble of learning a new OS.

If you do go the Linux route, I'd advise you to dual-boot, at least at first. It's nice to have a Windows partition to run home to when you're still working the kinks out.

guess i should have clarified. i have it installed (dual booted)

what i am looking for is a driver install party.

Latest posts

Top Bottom