AR Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but I don't want to assume I'm right and just go ahead and do it. I have a Direct Impingement (Piston-Driven) rifle that I do most of my shooting with. I also have a Gas-Operated Upper sitting around doing nothing that I'd like to get some use out of. My question is, can switch out the uppers and put the Gas-Operated Upper on the Lower of my Piston-Operated rifle? I'm guessing the answer is gonna be yes because I can't see what difference how the upper functions would make to the lower, but before I just go ahead and do it I'd like to see if anyone here has done it and/or knows the answer.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You have DI confused with a piston system.

1686515029471.png

1686515084906.png

But yes, you can switch uppers.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the lower does is hold the mag and whack the firing pin.
It doesn't care about gas or piston driven.

BowhunterOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short answer is yes you can, but you may want to check the buffer/spring combo first. I have a number of AR's and 2 piston LWRC's. The LWRC's, which are piston, have different weight springs/buffers than what I normally run with my normal gas ones. I'd have to weight them to see which buffer they are, but they came with the piston uppers. So I just switch them out when I swap uppers.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The short answer is yes you can, but you may want to check the buffer/spring combo first. I have a number of AR's and 2 piston LWRC's. The LWRC's, which are piston, have different weight springs/buffers than what I normally run with my normal gas ones. I'd have to weight them to see which buffer they are, but they came with the piston uppers. So I just switch them out when I swap uppers.
Thank you, I guess I should have included this in my question, but the rifle I'm referring to is a LWRC.

BowhunterOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you, I guess I should have included this in my question, but the rifle I'm referring to is a LWRC.

That's good to know as well. As I mentioned, I purchased 2 LWRC compete uppers when they were on sale. And they included their own buffer and spring with it as well. I've moved them to different lowers, but have also moved the springs and buffer as well with them. I did just check mine and it has an H-2 buffer which would run fine in virtually any carbine. So that would even make it easier to swap to another lower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom