Are detergent containers ok to re-use for drinking water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know people will initially think this is a bad idea but here's the whole thing. These are 5 gallon containers for dishwasher detergent and rinse aid for dish washers. My thinking is I know it's a higher concentration but if properly rinsed out how could it be harmful if it's used to clean your dishes. Also they are grade 2 HDPE plastic containers. What is everyone's thoughts and opinions. I want to use these for potable water but if all else fails I'll use them for non potable.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rinse thoroughly, EPA declares clean after 3 complete fill rinses, I prefer 5. Safe to use as potable water.

Also great to set in the sunshine to heat up for nice warm shower after a day on the beach or in the woods. :clap3:

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
rinse thoroughly, EPA declares clean after 3 complete fill rinses, I prefer 5. Safe to use as potable water.

Also great to set in the sunshine to heat up for nice warm shower after a day on the beach or in the woods. :clap3:

That's great news...do you have a link showing that your able to drink after rinsing 3 times? I was looking on the epa website and couldn't find anything...not saying it's not there, just if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having just listened to E.B. Sledge's With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa, I would recommend being very thorough in you cleaning if you do. Apparently, the Marines (including Sledge) on work detail weren't very careful when they were steam cleaning oil drums, and paid for it when those drums were used to deliver the drinking water on Peleliu...:puke:

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saving mine up to a point. They're hella sturdy and can be used for lots of things. The only problem I have using them for drinking water is aftertaste.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great news...do you have a link showing that your able to drink after rinsing 3 times? I was looking on the epa website and couldn't find anything...not saying it's not there, just if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

I'm TNRCC wastewater certified Technician. It was what we were taught in the certification class, can't post definitive link, just what was told in certification class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom