Are They Worth It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumhead23us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I've been shopping revolvers, and I was wondering something. Are the M&P revolvers worth the extra money? They're quite a bit more than a 642 or a Bodyguard and was wondering why. I understand they're made of different materials, the sights might be better, etc., but is there any point of diminishing return, so to speak for a revolver? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm just trying to work out a plan for purchasing my next gun, and this info would be helpful in sorting out the possible candidates.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're paying for a brand label and somewhat of an upgrade. A Scandium frame. It's really, really light. Probably a bit better fit, a tiny bit. Just buy a regular Airweight. The full-size M&P revolvers also hold eight rounds.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both a 642 and an M&P 340. The 642 is +p rated and the 340 is a .357. (Although it is a booger to shoot with .357 ammo!) It is a couple of ounces lighter than the 642. The sights are an improvement; but in reality, I can shoot the 642 just as well. The 340 is way more costly; so it just boils down to personal choice and expendable cash on hand IMO. I guess I'd say all things considered, the 642 is a top-notch Airweight and the 340, while it is also a great little J-Frame, is somewhat overpriced for what you get; again IMO. I am perfectly happy with the 642; the 340 was an impuse buy but damn, sometimes you gotta just have it cause you want it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope to one day be in the position to impulse buy something that expensive. Kudos to you, sir.

:respect:

Wasn't intending to be a braggart; I just wanted one (M&P 340), scrimped a bit and got it. It is just a bit lighter than the 642 but damn near perfect for the pocket, IMO. And despite the opinions of some who say one sholdn't get an Airlite snub .357, well, most of us are big boys and after all, I guess a man's gotta know his limitations and go with his own choices in some matters.

Lots of us here at OSA own more than one or two or three or...however many guns we own anyway so what's the difference in terms of money if you get what you want? I can't carry all I own now, and don't really need anymore either, but will no doubt fork over more cash when the next "item" that I just have to have strikes my fancy. Hell, I may go buy a new pistol or revolver just cause I see one that I suddenly want and don't have, (but don't tell the wife!) I also don't need a new AR, but I am starting to want one...oh, and a pirate hat to wear too.

Last edited:

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
..... I just wanted one (M&P 340), scrimped a bit and got it. It is just a bit lighter than the 642 but damn near perfect for the pocket, IMO. And despite the opinions of some who say one sholdn't get an Airlite snub .357, well, most of us are big boys and after all, I guess a man's gotta know his limitations and go with his own choices in some matters.....

Agree. I still like my 640-1 and K frames but this just fits a niche that they don't. The 642/442 series are good also. I just liked this better. And note, that's .38+P (very manageable)
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom