Artificial habitat...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2-2.5 acre pond that we have recently rebuilt and then stocked this last fall. It is about 14ft deep at the deepest point when full. There is not much shelter in the pond, and I have been considering sinking some pallets , dead cedars and maybe some homemade PVC trees. Have any of you done this, and how did you stack the pallets (tepee or stacked or ???)? I have considered getting some old 5 gallon buckets, fill with cement and PVC. Thought, suggestions, tips...?

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have good luck making crappie habitat using milk crates open side up running old pvc and pex pipe through the holes and placing a big rock in the basket. Check out crappie.com for tons of ideas, lots of those guys use cane or bamboo because it is buoyant for the the most part. I did'nt want to mess with mixing concrete for mine.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently working on stocking a 25 acre lake around Antlers that has little to no cover in it. Unfortunately I was not involved during the construction phase so that I could get the structure in before it was filled, that would have made it a lot easier.

I got a generous donation of a few hundred feet of waterpipe from someone in town, and had stacks of cinder blocks at my dispose, so all I had to buy was some Quickcrete. I cut about 4 ft sections of the waterpipe and put 4 sections in each hole of the cinderblock and filled it with concrete. They look like big spiders... hence the name spider blocks. The good thing about them, since they are big and plastic, hookups will be few compared to cedar trees, and they won't deteriorate over time. And they are easy to sink. I have also done some cedar trees, but when you get a good sized tree, it takes a surprising amount of weight to sink it. When sinking cover, sink it at different levels. Give them a good trail of cover at different depths for whatever their mood. And sink it in places that you access from where you plan on fishing.

We stocked fatheads in the lake last year, and since the spawn upside down, we needed to supply them some good cover. I drove a t-post under water and stacked two pallets on it. This was no easy task in the winter when you don't want to get wet! You will have to weight them to get them to sink of course, and once again, it takes quite a bit of weight to sink a couple of pallets. Once they were sunk, we wired them to the t-posts just in case the blocks got knocked off. I have also heard of people tossing sections ov PVC pipe in to provide spawning habitat for fatheads. PVC will naturally sink, so it wouldn't be difficult.

So that's my 5 cents...

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spider blocks are great.
cedar trees suck. all one does is get hung up and in a couple of years they provide little cover.
Artificial christmas trees with a concrete base are awesome.
They never rot. take a jig on a string next christmas and drop into the tree. Its almost impossible to hook up.
spider blocks and artificial trees are the way to go imho.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I helped an old farmer once do this very thing. may not be environmentally acceptable any more, I'm not really sure...
We took old tires, 6-10, and tied then together with steel cables so they'd stand on the round edges, like a tube. Once done just rolled them in, no idea how far in they went before they stopped. Blown out tires were free from the repair shop, and there was tons of cable and clamps from this old shipping place.
Still catch fish and eat them out of the same pond, so it must not hurt the fish, and I'm not glowing in the dark yet...

Latest posts

Top Bottom