At Least 18,000 Diary Cows Killed in Texas Panhandle Explosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With that many cattle, there is a large amount of methane gas produced. I’m sure that there is some sort of collection system. When methane is present in an enclosed area, it becomes an explosion hazard.
I made nachos tonight for supper, so there a danger of a gas explosion at my house.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I commented earlier about this like I didn't believe it, and I still don't, but I have seen the news, and I still don't believe it. About 45 years ago I worked on a dairy for a short period. We milked about 200 cows, and it was an ass busting job. If you think milk comes from Safeway, it doesn't. You get up about 3 AM, the cows are starting to bunch up and some want to be milked and some don't, you get everything clean and running and start letting the cows in. Then some go right into the little stall and immediately take a huge dump, and it's pretty liquid so it goes everywhere, then they start swishing their tail and you get covered, some of the others stand in the way to block other cows and you gotta go up a level and move them through. Every cow has a personality, and you have to deal with it because Bessy or #185 has got all day, they only do 3 things, eat, get milked, and poop. And you can't believe the amount of poop. When you're done with milking and everything is clean, you fire up the tractor and start scraping the poop out, then get the poop into the spreader, and you know what's next, it's all about poop. And on those below zero nights when you're dead in the sheets, there's a knock on the door and you gotta go pull a calf, and you're going to fall down in the corral in poop 1 foot deep. Milk does not come from Safeway.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I commented earlier about this like I didn't believe it, and I still don't, but I have seen the news, and I still don't believe it. About 45 years ago I worked on a dairy for a short period. We milked about 200 cows, and it was an ass busting job. If you think milk comes from Safeway, it doesn't. You get up about 3 AM, the cows are starting to bunch up and some want to be milked and some don't, you get everything clean and running and start letting the cows in. Then some go right into the little stall and immediately take a huge dump, and it's pretty liquid so it goes everywhere, then they start swishing their tail and you get covered, some of the others stand in the way to block other cows and you gotta go up a level and move them through. Every cow has a personality, and you have to deal with it because Bessy or #185 has got all day, they only do 3 things, eat, get milked, and poop. And you can't believe the amount of poop. When you're done with milking and everything is clean, you fire up the tractor and start scraping the poop out, then get the poop into the spreader, and you know what's next, it's all about poop. And on those below zero nights when you're dead in the sheets, there's a knock on the door and you gotta go pull a calf, and you're going to fall down in the corral in poop 1 foot deep. Milk does not come from Safeway.
Thanks for that description of the work which has to be performed for those of us that just drive to Crest and buy milk, ice cream, etc. What do you think would cause this kind of calamity?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was seriously asking that. I can’t imagine a situation that would kill 18k plus cows.
A well targeted assault is my thought. 18,000 milk cows in 1 location sounds like a lie to begin with. Can you imagine the space, resources and manpower to operate with that large of a herd? I call ********. (Pun intended)

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
....you will eat bugs and like it.....

18,000 cows...wow....in that small area... something is not right

but he plant and animals are dead...just another processing plant...Eat Bugs.....

well, with the shortages and problems...only thing I can think of....

the scum in DC will have to step in, take charge...PASS some laws.....

and poof...we can all have an 16 oz. ration of meat for our family...per week...

not only are we then fighting climate change, ...were getting healthy ...

See,...they care about us......

....now get in the boxcar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom