At Least 18,000 Diary Cows Killed in Texas Panhandle Explosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't you leave out putting feed out after the cows are all rounded up and in the pen for their turn? Best friend's family growing up had a dairy in Newcastle. I HATED doing a sleepover with him because of EXACTLY what you mentioned above. We'd get the cows in then go get a load of alfalfa/hay on the flatbed then drive around to all the feeders in the pasture. By time done, they'd be about done milking so you could go scrape.

Then, you end all that work with a hearty breakfast and a big ol' glass of fresh, WARM milk! Might be why I don't drink much milk.
I left a lot of things out, mostly out of respect for the milk drinkers. But I'll tell you this because you seem interested, the dairy I worked at was outside Bozeman Montana. The old guy that owned the dairy would periodically go to the nearby orphanage and pick out some strong young boys, and sometimes a girl, to work at his dairy. It was kind of an old time thing that was still alive in the 1970's, The old guy had a huge interest in draft horses, Percherons and Belgians, and he would harness them up and work them on weekends. To watch a man work a team is something special, it's old time stuff that you can connect to, it means something. It was culture shock, but in a beautiful way for me.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I left a lot of things out, mostly out of respect for the milk drinkers. But I'll tell you this because you seem interested, the dairy I worked at was outside Bozeman Montana. The old guy that owned the dairy would periodically go to the nearby orphanage and pick out some strong young boys, and sometimes a girl, to work at his dairy. It was kind of an old time thing that was still alive in the 1970's, The old guy had a huge interest in draft horses, Percherons and Belgians, and he would harness them up and work them on weekends. To watch a man work a team is something special, it's old time stuff that you can connect to, it means something. It was culture shock, but in a beautiful way for me.

YouTube has a couple of "channels" where those that still use horses on the farm are posting their videos. One can go there and use YT's search feature to look for "horse drawn farming."

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working at cousin's small dairy, I would say those cows are kept in the feedlots.

We had 180 cows to milk. 170+ would come in from pasture and gather at the barn. 2-10 would take a hour of searching to find and drive in. Twice a day, everyday.

18,000 cows could be up to 1000 missing cows, a lot of manpower to go round up.

Those LARGE operations, usually company owned, the workers and cows are on set 8 hour rotation. Milked 3 times per day, cow that produces more. Each closely monitored to amount of milk produced. Low producers are eliminated.

There has been a large occurrence of fires, explosions, and strange happenings. The lack of media coverage does make the happenings more suspicious, as not being "accidents". (in my mind)

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Methane is the main component of natural gas. Do an image search for "natural gas explosion house" and you'll see for yourself how explosive it can be. Some of those houses look like confetti...
View attachment 367585
Does methane come from other sources besides poop? If it's the main component in natural gas I would guess yes. Does methane have any odor?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does methane come from other sources besides poop? If it's the main component in natural gas I would guess yes. Does methane have any odor?
Methane is odorless and colorless. They add methyl mercaptan (my dad called it “skunk p*ss”) to natural gas so you’ll notice a leak.

Methane is primarily thought to be a product of organic decomposition, but I saw a program about 20 years ago that theorized that the methane in natural gas was naturally occurring independent of any decay processes. Methane is one of the simplest organic compounds in existence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom