Automobiles that never were.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We never had a factory Lincoln, a factory Chrysler Imperial or a factory Cadillac musclecar from the musclecar era. Also, we never had a factory true station wagon from either Cadillac of Lincoln. Aftermarket ambulance or hearse conversions don't count. SUV's don't count. A true station wagon is on an automobile, not truck, platform. A true station wagon was always been the ideal passenger car for a dog owner, fisherman, tent camper, hunter, motorboater or large family who wanted low-center of gravity and automobile comforts, looks and prestige. There were not many true musclecars by anybody during the musclecar era with factory a/c even. The idea of a musclecar was to be a demon at the strip while still being civil on the street: a factory street-legal and street-civil hot rod. Lack of factory a/c in the Lower 48 is less than civil by my standards.

I suspect the prestige of both Lincoln and Cadillac would have been degraded if either or both had otherwise offered station wagon and/or musclecar versions, or so Big Three automaker executives felt at the time. There probably wasn't a market for such offerings that even might have swung a profit. Mercedes-Benz was the first luxury/prestige marque to offer a true station wagon in 1979 though small by American full-size wagon standards.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
troll2.jpg

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't seem to find a good site online to TALK CARS.

My point is that a rich American who would want the prestige and car-like-ness of a Cadillac or Lincoln, had not such practical vehicle available to load his German shepherd with wet or muddy feet into. Virtually every American car make in the 1960's fell into the musclecar craze except Cadillac and Lincoln. I thought some here might find that fascinating.

Some here might offer some ideas as to why we never got true station wagons or 60's musclecars from either of Americas' two top luxury brands. My thread is a case in point in automobile history.

Speaking of musclecars and station wagons, I don't know if there ever was a factory musclecar station wagon or even better yet, a luxurious musclecar station wagon to peel rubber on the way to the hot beach with the surfboard on the luggage rack and the German shepherd in the back without sweating in the driver seat.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"This here's a story about the hot rod race when Ford and Lincoln was setting the pace that story is true I'm here to say I was driving that Model A"
Johny Bond, Hot Rod Lincoln.

That was no FACTORY hot-rod Lincoln. It was not even a Lincoln body.
I like the Commander Cody version of the song better too.
Here is an aftermarket hot-rod with an actual Lincoln body:

Last edited by a moderator:

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive a station wagon, very luxurious, leather interior with a killer factory sound system and it is fast. The wife calls it her rocket ship.

Is it a true production musclecar though? Could it do standing quarters at least down in the 13's right out of the box? Does it even have a stock tach on the dash? Young boys in California used to hot-rod station wagons as part of the surfing culture. The Beach Boy's Ford Woody is one classic example. But aftermarket hot rods are not production musclecars. Many cars can go fast in the top end, but that does not make them musclecars. Fast large cars are power cruisers. A musclecar is rated for it's drag racing capability: 0-60 and standing quarter mile times. People bought musclecars to race from red light to red light sometimes even for pinks.

Here is some great memorable musclecar action with Steve McQueen:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom