Awesome road trip to CO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a couple of days off to ride up to Colorado Springs for 10th Special Forces Group's 60th Anniversary celebration. Took mostly back highways up to Raton, NM, then shot up I-25 to the Springs. Missed the Commander's ride Friday morning, but heard that Pike's Peak HD loaned out a bunch of their demos and rentals for the boss from Ft. Bragg and the 1st BN guys that made it from Boeblingen, Germany.

Good to see many old friends, some that I thought were dead and learned that a few others were. Surprised to see some of our formerly young and crazy(er) NCO's are now Company Sergeant Majors. Everyone that retired is doing well, many chased the big money private contract jobs for several years but most, if not all have hung up their guns in favor of actually enjoying their retired lives.

Headed out Sunday morning, with the intent of riding up to Divide, then picking a direction. Fires to the North, so I headed on West to Buena Vista, then South through Alamosa to Taos for a late lunch. Thought of staying at Angel Fire, but it was still early when I arrived so I rode on. Hit I-40 and figured I'd ride until tired. Well, several tanks of gas and hours later I rolled in to my carport, a little fuzzy but never did get sleepy. 911 miles in about 21 hours and my scooter never missed a beat.
i1101.photobucket.com_albums_g428_UnSafe62_BuenaVista.jpg

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip, but I think I'd be a little shell-shocked after 21 hours on a bike! I'm getting to the point where I even like doing long trips in the CJ with the top off, lol.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Colorado and go up there a couple of times a year. Last year we went to 4 corners, Durango, Breckenridge, Pikes Peak, and home through Raton and the panhandle.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Colorado and go up there a couple of times a year. Last year we went to 4 corners, Durango, Breckenridge, Pikes Peak, and home through Raton and the panhandle.

last time i went to pagosa and co springs i came back that way through the panhandle. I seen all sorts of wildlife too, prarie dogs, pronghorn antelope, etc.

Boomerdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. I am envious. Wish my wife would let me buy a bike. :^)

I have a friend who I was very close to in high school who was with the 10th SF group. I know he was at Deven and Bad Tolz. Not sure if he got out before the Group made the move to Carson. I wonder if he was there? Just got "re-acquainted" with him on Facebook recently, but don't spend a lot of time on that site. Cuts into my OSA time. :^)

Thanks for your service to our country!

Latest posts

Top Bottom