Backpacking/Hiking Hammocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with hammocks? I'm looking at getting an Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO) single and a lightweight tarp (or large pancho) and try and go that route to lighten my load for this summer's hikes.

I've been talking to folks who know their hammocks and searching forums, but I was just curios as to any OSAer's experiences.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only experience is that I can't sleep in one...I can chill and take a nap but a whole night just doesn't work. I'm stuck with a lightweight pad and sleeping bag.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are hammock hikers. We both use DD hammocks. I highly recommend them. We've had ours for 4 years now, and they are still in great shape. If there are no trees around, they can be used as a 1 man tent on the ground, which is nice. They are waterproof underneath and have a layer of separation that can be used to stuff with insulation. If you want to go super light, you can use leaves for insulation. Of course, you can always use a thin air up pad (I use a thermarest) or some kind of underblanket/sleeping bag.The biggest thing is making sure you have insulation between your body and the hammock. You will lose a lot of heat with air flowing underneath your body while suspended in the air.

In any event, it's a lot lighter then carrying a tent. I try to trim down what I take each time I go backpacking. It makes the trip more enjoyable when you have a lighter load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom