Barrel machining marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a Springfield 1911, shot about 50 rounds through it, then broke it down for cleaning. I noticed, but did not pay much attention to, what can best be described in my limited vocabulary, as chatter marks like you get on wood if you feed it through a router to fast. These marks are just outside each groove. Next time I shot it was about 25 cast lead bullets. The barrel really leaded badly, so after de-leading I looked more closely at these marks. Looks like tiny little chips in the lands, right at the edge of each groove. I've done some polishing with steel wool, Scotch Bright and polishing compound, and gained a bit on the chips, but on the other hand I don't want to create a shotgun barrel.

I never noticed this on any of my Italian made single actions. Y'all reckon I just got a bad barrel, or are they all like this. I tried some pictures, but couldn't get anything clear enough to help.

Uh-oh, Impossible Shots is coming on. Bye

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, Springfield barrels are either button pulled, or mandrel rifled.

Does it look as though the marks moved with the method of rifling? IE does it twist with the rifling or seem to go other avenues.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back to your question, been to Dallas and back today. Anyway, the little chatter marks are on the left side of each groove, when you're looking through the barrel from the breech end. I really don't think they'll hurt anything, other than they catch lead when shooting cast bullets. I suspect they'll also catch copper for that matter.

I wonder if anyone makes firelapping bullets for .45ACP? A feller at Sawyer is a pretty good 1911 mechanic, I'm thinking of letting him do a trigger job and have him take a look at the barrel.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a barrel that was done with a worn tool. Can you take a pic and post it so we can see how bad it is? It might need to go back to Springfield to be replaced.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're barrel should not look like that. A carbide button shouldn't leave "chatter" type marks. Typical tooling marks, sure, but not something so rough it causes the barrel to foul in 25 rounds.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the best photo I could get. Dang, that's tough, holding a barrel in one hand, camera in the other, and trying to get a focus.

[Broken External Image]

If I saw that photo without knowing what it was, I would say that's lead fouling. The marks run the length of the barrel and mostly on the left side of each groove.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent the photo to Springfield, they sent me a FedEx label and said send it back. I shipped it last Tuesday, should hear something pretty soon. I'm hopin' for a new barrel, but whatever happens happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom