Basic Handgun Training for Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mods -- I posted this in the training section but not sure if that forum sees the traffic that this one does. If this thread needs to be removed, I am happy to do so.

Hi guys - My wife is a pharmacist and owns a pharmacy here in Tulsa. She is not a fan of firearms but has come to the realization that her store is probably a target for a daytime robbery. She has been broken into twice in 18 years but both have been at night. After two pharmacy robberies in plain daylight in Tulsa yesterday,.. she has accepted the job of learning how to shoot.

She will not be getting her concealed permit,... just a good, basic firearm training handling and safety lesson. I do not want to be the one to teach her. I have my concealed license and have several handguns/rifles/shotguns but she has never been interested.

Can you guys recommend a good instructor (preferably female) here in Tulsa that can show her the ropes? Looking for handgun training only,.. revolvers and semi autos. One on one or a group is fine,.. even a male instructor is fine,.. just as long as he is patient and not at all intimidating.

She will probably keep a revolver of some kind at the store,.. unless she really prefers shooting a semi.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USSA offers female shooter courses with all females as attendees and possibly a male or female instructor. I'm not sure but you could call and ask.

I think username Probusiness on here offers a basic handgun training course to women and he is a male instructor. Went Skeet shooting with him one day, heck of a nice guy.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handgun level 1 in the USSA training group is an excellent start, and can usually fit a working person's schedule. If she doesn't feel ready for that, the Women's Handgun class in the same training group usually draws a very small group, or winds up being 1-on-1 with the instructor. The instructors for those classes are male, but they are good.

I believe they have some very good female instructors on staff--you could probably schedule private lessons.

P

Pdw

I would recommend USSA for firearms training for both men and women. As stated above there is a female only course(s). Gret facility and friendly atmosphere. My wife has taken the self defense course and CCW class at USSA.

S

siglady

I posted this several months ago, but thought it might be helpful to your wife. I am retired from the OU College of Pharmacy, and am familiar with this particular issue that pharmacists must deal with. In the spring, I participated in a Firearms For Women course instructed by Dan Detmer of Firearms On Target. He is well qualified. The course was held at the Tulsa Gun Club. To encapsulate, the entire course...classroom time and range time...was perfectly suited to my needs and exceeded my expectations. It helped me lose most of my fear of firearms while giving me an appreciation for a gun's capabilities as well as my own capabilities. Before the course, my experience with firearms was limited to firing a few rounds from a SW 38 and a P238 Sig with my husband helping as much as he could; and I was not smooth in the handling of either one because I was too nervous and afraid I would shoot something other than the target. To my surprise, I was able to hit the target, but I remained very clunky and delicate in how I held and loaded the guns. Not a good thing. I wanted to feel at ease and decided the only way to do that was to become knowledgeable about firearms, and the only way to do that was to find an instructor who had the expertise and ability to convey to me what I needed to know in order to handle a firearm safely and proficiently. I needed instruction that would help me gain solid confidence by taking the fear out of guns. Following are a number of ways that the Firearms For Women course "exceeded" my expectations: The instructor recognized each student was a separate person with perhaps different needs and reasons for taking the course. Fears were addressed, including fear of guns, fear of using a gun, fear of having a gun around the house with children present, etc. The course was not watered down for the three women students. The instructor, expected and informed us that we would learn how to handle a gun and the responsibility that comes with that knowledge. It was a serious course but at the same time we were all made to feel comfortable in asking any questions we might have. This quickly translated into respect between us all and respect for the subject matter. It was also fun... classroom and range. The most important job I have now is to practice, practice, practice. I highly recommend Dan Detmer as an instructor, and for any ladies wanting to learn to handle firearms comfortably and with confidence and knowledge, look into taking the Firearms For Women course. If you are not in the Tulsa area, please find instruction that you believe will meet your needs. Do the research by going on line, calling and asking questions, and if possible, talk with someone who has taken instruction from that particular instructor. (As a side comment...I do not have strong hands and fingers, and before taking the course I was unable to rack the slide on my husbands Colt 45. During the course, Dan showed me another way to rack the slide using the upper body muscles in my arms and shoulders instead of pulling with my fingers. When I got home I showed my husband how I could now do this with his 45 and he was ecstatic.) I hope this helps.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

siglady - Thanks a bunch,.. Funny I have a Sig P238 as well and my wife had about the same experience with it as you. She also could not rack the slide on my 1911's. I'll look into Dan's course.

Thanks again,
Carl

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Stillwater Armory is a business run by Tom and Sabra Smith.

Both are NRA Certified instructors.
Sabra does teach women's classes from time to time.

If Stillwater isn't too far,,,
Contact them as they are good people to deal with.

Aarond

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

siglady - Thanks a bunch,.. Funny I have a Sig P238 as well and my wife had about the same experience with it as you. She also could not rack the slide on my 1911's. I'll look into Dan's course.

Thanks again,
Carl

"When I got home I showed my husband how I could now do this (rack) his 45 and he was ecstatic.)"

She thought I was ecstatic, I thought it was a little scary. Ha Ha. I had worked with her, but a different person (Dan) was able to give her pointers in ways I could not. That course made her much more confident, and much better and safer at shooting. I highly recommend it also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom