beretta 92 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats the differences between a beretta 92FS and the military M9??

Markings and cosmetics.

The 92 has the 3-dot sights, while the M9 uses the post method (same sights, just painted differently.

There have been several minor changes over the years that have applied to both the civil and military versions...the radiused backstrap, the angled dust cover, the plastic guide rod, the plastic-coated trigger, etc.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 92FS, my friend has an M9. There seems to be a slight difference in the machining of the slide. His M9 fits on my 92, but the 92 wont fit the M9.(I was trying to make an awesome stainless top/black bottom look) Maybe the difference is in the fact that mine is stainless. Not sure, but other than this personal experience, I always thought they were identical.

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the M9 first got fielded in the early 90's, I bought a 92FS. Absolutely, identical back then except the 92FS had a warning stamped on it claiming that you could put your eye out (or something like that). Over the years, there's been several minor variations.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beretta put out a bunch of civilian M9s that are basically the 92FS pistols with M9 markings on them. (meaning they have the plastic parts on them the 92FS now come with, just different markings)

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that sounded like a stupid question but what i mean is whats the internal differences if any? I've heard like soulman said that some parts in an M9 are metal whereas they are plastic on a 92FS

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that sounded like a stupid question but what i mean is whats the internal differences if any? I've heard like soulman said that some parts in an M9 are metal whereas they are plastic on a 92FS

Some people don't want the plastic parts in their guns, but others claim they are better. For example, the plastic guide rod has grooves in it that some claim help it from getting dirty and binding up the spring since the crud has some place to go. Also, the plastic rod can't get bent out of shape, but will flex with the gun. Honestly, I think the only real difference a person would notice would only be cosmetic. Function and reliability will be the same.

I have a M9 that Rob built up from a civilian M9 frame. It's got a military slide, barrel, and all the inner workings. The only plastic in the gun is the plastic inserts behind the Crimson Trace laser grips. I had a 92FS before this one with the plastic parts and had no problems with it at all. You will be happy with either.

What ever you do, don't get a PT92 and expect a Beretta. Too many people I know utter the phrase "I've got a PT92 and it's just as good as a Beretta.", but you'll never hear a Beretta owner saying, "It's as good as a PT92." You pay more for the Beretta, but you get the craftsmanship, the fit, the performance, and the quality materials that went into building the gun.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some people don't want the plastic parts in their guns, but others claim they are better. For example, the plastic guide rod has grooves in it that some claim help it from getting dirty and binding up the spring since the crud has some place to go. Also, the plastic rod can't get bent out of shape, but will flex with the gun. Honestly, I think the only real difference a person would notice would only be cosmetic. Function and reliability will be the same.

I have a M9 that Rob built up from a civilian M9 frame. It's got a military slide, barrel, and all the inner workings. The only plastic in the gun is the plastic inserts behind the Crimson Trace laser grips. I had a 92FS before this one with the plastic parts and had no problems with it at all. You will be happy with either.

What ever you do, don't get a PT92 and expect a Beretta. Too many people I know utter the phrase "I've got a PT92 and it's just as good as a Beretta.", but you'll never hear a Beretta owner saying, "It's as good as a PT92." You pay more for the Beretta, but you get the craftsmanship, the fit, the performance, and the quality materials that went into building the gun.

+1000!!!! If I were in the market for one, I'd look for an all metal one, but thats just me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom