Berkey Filter Problems ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been following this for a while now. Just in case some of you don't know Berkey had some issues with their filters. If you've purchased any filters lately, you might want to check them. The guy who started this thread is a seller of Berkey products. While I've not done any business with him personally, I've followed his threads and he seems to be a stand-up guy ...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=259772

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoa. I was eyeing the Berkey products at the recent Claremore show, and was "this close" to buying one. Glad you brought up this issue, BB - thanks.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive had a royal berkley for years, they did have problems several years ago with filter seperation, they have fixed these problems, when i had this problem they sent me new filters no questions asked, I use mine every day and couldnt be happier with it

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, riper ... That's good to hear. I figured Berkey would make it right. We had originally started looking to buy one in the middle of 2011, but when I started researching this stuff I found lots of posts on other boards about the problem. So ... I've just kinda drug my feet on buying one. It's something we REALLY need to get. We are within walking distance to a great water source (Overholser) but you couldn't pay me to drink that water without boiling AND filtering AND water treatment tablets! LOL

If you've ever gotten sick from drinking bad water (and I have), you know EXACTLY how I feel ... :drooling::cry3::ugh2::puke::faint:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting to follow.

Our Big Berkey has been running great with zero issues for a few years now, including the original Berkey Black filters. I was getting ready to grab another set of filters to keep as a backup, but will have to see how this

shakes out.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we used to buy cases and cases of filtered water and one day i added all the money we were spending per month, that justified buying a royal berkley, it really makes water taste better, and you should get a backup set of filters, the filters are good for 6000 gals of water then should be replaced

Barnney Fife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have used our Berkey for several years with no issues. Couldnt be happier with it.
We bought back up filters at the same time and have never had to use them{ we currently use the white ceramic ones, just wash them occasionally}
The backup set we bought are the black ones.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have never had a problem with our Berkey. This issue was from the units made in the first half of 2011 and is not as wide spread as some people would have everyone think.

Second and far more important, don't count on anything not to break. What if it got knocked it off the counter and broke one or both of the ceramic filters? Then What? That is why the 2 is 1 and 1 is none rule is so true.

Not pretty at all, but Epoxy or a 2 part marine putty would resolve this in a real grid down scenario. I'm not giving anyone a free pass on manufacturing defects but it's important to think about ways to resolve issues you may face.

Latest posts

Top Bottom