Bersa Thunder 380???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

The other day a friend and I went out to punch some holes in paper targets. Out of all the guns we shot(mine and his) he pulls out a Bersa 380, I believe a Thunder? Well anyways, I got the opportunity to fire this weapon. I was impressed with this little....compact ....pistol.

Now mind you, either I don't remember the brand Bersa or have been a snob and stuck my nose up at the mention of Bersa. Not really a snob, just not a concern or maybe a hesitation on the "quality" of this name brand.

LET ME STATE:

I would like answers and your personal interaction with the Bersa 380. The positive and the negative on this pistol. I am not trying to start any arguments on this gun, just clarification.

The reason I ask is that,.....................yes it's true.............I was impressed with this firearm. I have searched reviews and watched a few youtube videos and most if not all are favorable. I have owned Walther PPK and PPK/S in 380 and 32, I have owned the Sig P232/380, I have owned the Beretta Cheetah 380, and even thought about a Seacamp in 32 or 380. But never a Bersa Thunder.

So, give me the scoop on the Bersa Thunder 380........the good and the bad.

Thanks!!!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know much about them and hadnt paid any attention to them either til about 3 weeks ago and my brother came to me to keep a eye for one for my neice since he had took her to a range and rented several guns for her to shot and out of all that she shot she liked the Bersa Thunder380 the best and wanted one so we found one and bought for her xmas present and i liked the feel of it so much i bought myself one this week so will have to wait and see how it shots.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend had one about 2 years ago or longer.
It never jammed,, but for shooting squirrels out of trees forget it.
The gun with the ammo he got was good for close range self defense.

step back 30 paces and MOA of truck hood is what you would get..But could be ammo.. as we all know it makes a difference.
I will say it was ultra reliable..He even dropped it into Eufaulla during the winter...on the boat ramp.

Cleaned up and shot it all over with wd 40 and dried with paper towels..Zero issues

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first self-defense carry weapon was a Bersa Thunder concealed carry, basically the same as what you fired but machined to be flatter and with no sharp edges. It was IMO a high quality gun, reliable and a great value for the money.

Not fancy but a good solid gun - definitely better than the Taurus, seemed more solid than SCCY, etc.
And, accuracy wasn't bad for short barreled pistol. Like many of that type weapon it was a little touchy about limp wristing but I learned to shoot on it and never had a FTE that wasn't attributable to me being a knucklehead.

It also is aesthetically very appealing - it looks like Walther PPK-ish gun for $200-$300 less. It has the drawback of being relatively large for that class gun compared to more recent entries like the Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard. However, I regret selling mine and will probably buy another to replace it.

Does that help?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can get the plane jane Bersa Thunder...........flat black for $234 +shipping and a transfer fee for around $300 total.

I just have a hesitation in the back of my mind............$300 for this type of gun.........is it worth it. What the heck, if I don't like it I guess I could toss it in the Deep Fork River and wipe my hands clean.

Thanks to all that have replied and keep 'em coming on the information. ***How's the warranty process??*** Believe it or not....out of all my guns....I have only sent one back to the factory for internal timing problems.........and that was a NEW Colt SAA 45LC.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bersa has, IIRC, a lifetime warranty on the weapon. Service is provided by a specific US location. I can't remember all the details but it was a comprehensive warranty. I never had to use it though so it was all theoretical to me.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one I bought for the neice was the 2 tone one and got it for $250 and the one i bought for myself was the CC model and paid $225 for it. Both were used got them from a pawn shop. But they are hard to find around here.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Bersa Thunder's have been extremely good performers.

I own the Thunder .22 and the Thunder .380,,,
In fact back in 2009 they were my first rimfire/centerfire pair.

If I can brace my arm on an upright at my range,,,
I consistently hit clay pigeons at 25 yards.

That's with either the .22 or the .380.

That "minute of truck hood" statement,,,
Has not been my experience at all.

The guns are what I usually start new shooters with,,,
The inherent accuracy and reliability of feed make them ideal.

Buy one with confidence,,,
You'll own a very fine little gun.

Aarond