Bill Would Make ‘Policing For Profit’ Ticket Schemes a Federal Civil Rights Violation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the dumbest article I have ever read. Here's an idea - don't break the law. It's not like they are inventing new laws just to try to get money from you... You know the rules. Grow up. Be an adult. Follow the rules. Not rocket science.

I absolutely concur that the first responsibility is to simply not break the law....but it's dumb to deny that policing for profit exists.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the dumbest article I have ever read. Here's an idea - don't break the law. It's not like they are inventing new laws just to try to get money from you... You know the rules. Grow up. Be an adult. Follow the rules. Not rocket science.

Tell that to the municipalities that have been caught changing traffic light timing (shortening yellow) to issue more red-light tickets, or who put drastic slow-downs at the edge of city limits (but where road conditions still merit the higher speed limit) to write speeding tickets.

I won't even go into civil forfeiture, which doesn't require the victim to even be charged with, let alone convicted of, a crime to have his property stolen by the police.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Relying only on the news story below from South Bend, Indiana, this law about transporting alcohol sure sounds like a revenue enhancer to me...Indiana State EXCISE Police indeed...

Teen stopped in South Bend after beer keg falls from pickup truck
SOUTH BEND - An unlucky teen was ticketed on St. Patrick's Day after a keg of beer fell out of the bed of his pickup truck and rolled down the road.
According to a press release from the Indiana State Excise Police, officers observed the recently purchased keg fall from the vehicle after the tailgate gave way on South Bend Avenue near Charles Street.
One officer directed traffic around the keg. Another officer stopped the pickup truck. The driver, an 18-year-old man, was issued a summons on a preliminary charge of illegal transportation of an alcoholic beverage. Under state law, a person must be at least 21 years old to transport an alcoholic beverage unless they are with their parents or legal guardian.
Excise officers ticketed 23 others while conducting St. Patrick's Day patrols in South Bend on Tuesday. Twelve minors were issued summonses for illegal possession or consumption of an alcoholic beverage, with four of those also charged with possession of a false identification. Eight adults were ticketed for furnishing alcohol to a minor.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_aaf0f3ea-cd81-11e4-9151-833902edfe77.html

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I might agree with you if they were actually enforcing laws for safety (like OHP and the county sheriffs generally do), but when folks are getting nailed to the tune of $180 for 1mph over, that ain't what's happening.

That said, doing this at the Federal level is idiotic. Is the FBI really going to waste man hours going after the JBTs in Valleybrook or Asher over their revenue generation patrols?

Latest posts

Top Bottom