Black Powder Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found a E. Remington & Sons New Model Pocket Revolver, 1858, but it has been converted to rimfire. Does that kill it's value? It would make it alot easier to shoot, but is it's collectability gone?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
depends upon whom did the conversion and when. done in the 1860-70's by a well known company/or gunsmith it might even increase the value. done 10-20 years ago by a hobbiest probably killed it.

Find an older copy of flaydermans (sp?) they list various models and people who converted them with values.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr Ed summed it up well. If it's a period conversion it is all good on the value front. Problem is, rimfire was really popular back then and now it's extinct other than .22s. I ran across a website awhile back that showed how to make your own rimfire cartridges. IIRC, they converted a lot of '58s to .44RF? I have a book around here somewhere so I'll look it up.

The cartridge conversion era is a very interesting period in history for me. An interesting fact is that Colt was offered the design for the drilled-through cylinder and turned it down. Smith & Wesson bought the design and Remington later paid $1 commission of every $7 cartridge revolver sold back to S&W until the patent ran out and then it was fair game.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.S. said:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it still has collectable possibilities. I guess the lack of ammo might keep it from being a shooter.

Yes in some ways, an original unconverted '58 would be more desirable since it could still be easily fired today. Those rimfire cartridges will be expensive if you could even find them.

I have a buddy with an original 1849 Colt Pocket he inherited. Now that I think about it, I've got to fire that gun. He knows nothing about guns, especially BP so I'll have to make sure it's SA to fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom