Black powder pistol laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its interesting that the feds do not have a restriction to a convicted felon owning a muzzle loader legally while the state of Oklahoma does not allow it.

I couldn't find where it is illegal. Since a muzzle loader isn't considered a firearm and are not classified as firing through pressure. Yes I know black powder creates pressure, but being it is loaded through the muzzle and does not use a cartridge it's not included in the firearm category. By definition it is a antique weather it was made 150 years ago or last week.

That was what I deducted from atf

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet my "no larger than .45" comment (that you refuted) was correct.

Have a nice day.
:drunk2:
Well, it's actually not correct.

There is no restriction on BARREL size, only cartridge size.

So, one could conceivably carry a .60 cal pistol for defense in a cap and ball weapon, as long as it had a .45 or smaller projectile. A saboted (is that a word?) ball would be legal, if the ball is .45 or smaller.

However, since neither of us is a lawyer, we can leave it be at that, if you wish.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's actually not correct.

There is no restriction on BARREL size, only cartridge size.

So, one could conceivably carry a .60 cal pistol for defense in a cap and ball weapon, as long as it had a .45 or smaller projectile. A saboted (is that a word?) ball would be legal, if the ball is .45 or smaller.

However, since neither of us is a lawyer, we can leave it be at that, if you wish.
FWIW, my original post only mentioned caliber. ;)

While it is "conceivable," I don't know if that would stand up as being legal. But even if it is, I'm not sure why anyone would want to explain to a jury why their .60 caliber should be considered a .45...

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pistol must have a barrel no larger than .45-caliber and must be less than 16 inches long."

This from your initial post. Do you see the word "barrel" in it ?

ETA: Read the relevant law, which I posted above. The first sentence clearly states the AMMUNITION cannot be larger than.45 caliber.

On the subject of barrel size it is silent.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This from your initial post. Do you see the word "barrel" in it ?

ETA: Read the relevant law, which I posted above. The first sentence clearly states the AMMUNITION cannot be larger than.45 caliber.

On the subject of barrel size it is silent.
Sorry dude, that is NOT my initial post.

But let's say you win, 'cause I really don't care.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't find where it is illegal. Since a muzzle loader isn't considered a firearm and are not classified as firing through pressure. Yes I know black powder creates pressure, but being it is loaded through the muzzle and does not use a cartridge it's not included in the firearm category. By definition it is a antique weather it was made 150 years ago or last week.

That was what I deducted from atf

But most State laws consider them firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom