Blade HQ's Folding Lock test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dirt Rider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting vid! I have a Spyderco Tenacious that I use a lot and has never failed me, even the 8Cr13M0V seems better than my other knives with the same steel. I like my Tenacious even better now! The Kershaw Cryo did pretty good too! The ESEE was kind of a let down. Thanks for the video!

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would have been better to see them all fail(or not be limited by max weight), but definitely a good video.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was wondering. How is this data applicable to making a better knife buying decision? They didn't mention what user activity they were trying to simulate, so translating this data to quantifiable information to help the consumer with purchasing decisions isn't possible.

In short, they were just destroying knives. True testing has to meet certain criteria. The 'average' numbers they give after each group of knives is totally useless data.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was wondering. How is this data applicable to making a better knife buying decision? They didn't mention what user activity they were trying to simulate, so translating this data to quantifiable information to help the consumer with purchasing decisions isn't possible.

In short, they were just destroying knives. True testing has to meet certain criteria. The 'average' numbers they give after each group of knives is totally useless data.

It's basically not, but it's kind of cool and provided all of the knives survived past about 100 or so pounds of pressure, they're all good enough to survive any sort of strain someone would put on them in normal use.

The funny thing is that shock is the killer for folding knives, not continuous strain. But tests like this just back up the point that the locks in decent quality folders (i.e. not gas station folders) are all "strong enough" for use (not abuse).

Jim Ankerson's tests are a lot more thorough and real-world. His steel edge-retention test and blade-steel repository is also pretty awesome.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, what you're saying is if I'm having to stick a knife in a cliff to hang on for dear life, I should use my $49 Kershaw instead of an expensive knife? :D

Red Dirt Rider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a good test comparing different types of locks. That's why they give an "average" comparison, because not every lock is going to have the same consistent results. Blade HQ is a great company with great customer service. I think it's good that they do their own test on the knives they sell. Sometimes I use my knife to cut very dense materials, knock it bolts, and constantly in corrosive environments. I don't need to lift 380 pounds with my knife, but it's nice to know that the build design or quality of the knife is somewhat strong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom