Blade uestion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a Spyderco rescue knife with a grind like that but the blade is fully serrated. I hypothesise it's to make resharpening easier.

Is your blade serrated? I'm guessing probably not because titanium isn't terribly hard but...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a chisel grind. Emerson Knives says it's a stronger edge and is easier to sharpen:
https://emersonknives.com/kb/why-do-you-use-the-chisel-grind/I've only owned two chisel-ground knives, and one was a CRKT KISS. The KISS only has a handle on one side, so the chisel grind allowed the blade to sit flat against that side (the paperwork that came with it specifically warned to avoid sharpening the flat side so it would stay up against the handle while folded).

932D742F-2F33-4968-B84D-A305F224A055.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Don't sharpen the flat side. Usually have to use a jig or a wedge to sharpen the bevel side. Good utility edge but that's mostly it. If you know how to back off chisels and sharpen the bevel, you should be good.
CRKT KISS
I have one I got in '95 ish. They were pimping them as money clips then and were stainless. I'll have to dig it up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't have a serrated blade in the house. Hate em.
Guy at work had what he called a Rope Knife with a serrated blade to cut roping lasso's.
Told him he was full of BS and bought into the hype. Don't need anything but a good sharp blade to cut a commercial lasso.
He laid down a bet and I took his money.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one I got in '95 ish. They were pimping them as money clips then and were stainless. I'll have to dig it up.
Sounds like the same one I got around the same time. I also picked up one of the later assisted-opening KISS ASSist models; although it's kind of neat in its own way, I prefer the simplicity of the original.

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a Spyderco rescue knife with a grind like that but the blade is fully serrated. I hypothesise it's to make resharpening easier.

Is your blade serrated? I'm guessing probably not because titanium isn't terribly hard but...
That Spyderco Rescue is a great knife. The Endura is also a good choice.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't have a serrated blade in the house. Hate em.
Guy at work had what he called a Rope Knife with a serrated blade to cut roping lasso's.
Told him he was full of BS and bought into the hype. Don't need anything but a good sharp blade to cut a commercial lasso.
He laid down a bet and I took his money.
I like the sherated edge, I am what you would call a master at sharpening knives I don't care what knife you have I don't care how sharp it is I can put an edge on it like a butter knife. Lol
But you are right, all you need is a good sharp straight edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom