Boat motor size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend getting the biggest somebitch you can afford, as you'll always want to go faster. Unless you're duck hunting on kaw lake in 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind, then you dont mind going slow.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done a lot of trout fishing on the White River below Beaver Dam in Rogers, AR, with a 20' river boat with a Merc 15 HP. They generated all summer off of Beaver, so the White was always at a high level with a pretty difficult current, and that 15 did just fine. I would assume that a 15 would be the best bang for your buck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend getting the biggest somebitch you can afford, as you'll always want to go faster. Unless you're duck hunting on kaw lake in 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind, then you dont mind going slow.

HAHA you and I are of the same mind.:D I'd better not give details....big brother may be watching:selfangel

One thing to remember about being on the north end of Kaw lake or any lake for that matter is to have enough boat for the water your on. One that may be sufficient on a creek or small lake will get you killed on Kaw. There have been 6 duck hunters killed on Kaw so far, all being to having too much gear, people, guns, ammo in a boat that is too small. My best buddy was drowned on the upper end of Kaw lake in the late 70's along with two others. Too small of a boat, too high of waves. In that area with a 30mph wind I've been in waves my Ranger Bass Boat didn't like to see. But, that ranger is a lot different than a 12' john boat loaded up.
My buddy and I found Davey the next morning after his dad called as said he never came home. We were out the with the lake patrol and the OHP lake patrol. Found him floating face down in his unzipped life jacket. The other two guys did not even have life jackets on and it was a month or so before they floated up and were recovered. Bad deal.
Just make sure you have enough boat.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with all of that. The boat is 1436 Grizzly Tracker semi V, so its not like I am going to be shooting across the lake full throttle in it. I am a putter and not a balls to the wall kind of guy. I am on the Kiamichi River, it isn't a sandy river so I am not too worried about the sand intake. I think I am going to go with the 15 HP. Most of the time I agree, go big or go home, but for extra power that I would rarely use, I can spend that extra thousand on depth finders, fishing supplies, whiskey and women. Thanks for all the input!

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 14" Fiberglass Tri-Hull and with Three Full-Size men trolling motor batteries gas and all gear it will plane out fine with a 25 Merc. If it was a flat bottom, it would do even better. A 15 should be perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom