Boehner Vote In or Out as Speaker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how our politicians in the House vote. And what their explanation will be if they vote Boehner back in as Speaker.

WASHINGTON — Rep. John Boehner is expected to win re-election to serve as speaker in the new session of Congress, which begins at noon Tuesday, but not without a public display of defiance from the most conservative members of his party.

As of early Tuesday, 15 Republicans were on record saying they would oppose the Ohio Republican's renomination.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/06/first-congress-boehner-election/21330229/

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Email from Bridenstine this morning:

It's Time for a New Speaker

The day after Republicans won the largest majority in the House of Representatives in almost 100 years and won a significant majority in the Senate, our liberal activist President claimed to hear the voices of all the people who didn’t vote. It was another example of stunning obstinacy from this president. Like President Obama, Speaker John Boehner must have heard voices that didn’t vote. Together, they crafted the CR/omnibus, a $1.1 trillion spending bill that funded the government for 10 months and blocked our newest elected Republicans from advancing conservative policy and delivering on campaign promises. With this vote, Republicans gave away the best tool available to rein in our liberal activist president: the power of the purse. The power of the purse is Congress’ constitutional strength.

The CR/omnibus hands the liberals that victory. This is unconscionable after watching the campaign rhetoric that won such decisive victories for the GOP. The Constitution requires the President to faithfully execute the laws of the United States. His activism in his last two years has accelerated to include executive amnesty, initiating international climate deals without a treaty, and establishing an embassy in Cuba without consulting Congress. When our Constitution is under assault and House Republicans give away our constitutional power of the purse, they share the guilt of abandoning our founding principles.

The CR/omnibus legislation sufficiently undermines the checks and balances enshrined in the Constitution that it warrants my pending vote against the Speaker. John Boehner went too far when he teamed with Obama to advance this legislation. He relinquished the power of the purse, and with it he lost my vote.

The vote for Speaker is more than selecting one man over another. It is my duty to uphold the Constitution and to represent my constituents. Over the past few days I have overwhelmingly heard from my constituents that they are unsatisfied with the direction House leadership is taking our party and our nation. When I cast my vote for Speaker, I am doing my duty as an elected official to represent those who sent me to Washington to fix Washington.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boner is the worst speaker in history for conservatives.

The libs will be secretly clapping when he gets back in office sadly.

He is the master of the backroom deals, offering Committee seats, etc in exchange for votes.

He needs to go.

When is the vote supposed to be on CSPAN?

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boner is the worst speaker in history for conservatives.

The libs will be secretly clapping when he gets back in office sadly.

He is the master of the backroom deals, offering Committee seats, etc in exchange for votes.

He needs to go.

When is the vote supposed to be on CSPAN?

Dennis, vote happened at 1pm our time. He was re-elected.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the ones who voted against Boehner:
Kudos to Bridenstine. As for the rest of the Oklahoma Reps, I assume they can't be reached for comment...

25 House Republicans voted for someone other than John Boehner to serve as speaker in the 114th Congress.

Here's the full list, in order:

Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) -- Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)
Rep. Brian Babin (Tex.) -- “present”
Rep. Rod Blum (Iowa) -- Rep. Dan Webster (R-Fla.)
Rep. Dave Brat (Va.) -- Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
Rep. Jim Bridenstine (Okla.) -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.)
Rep. Curt Clawson (Fla.) -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
Rep. Scott DesJarlais (Tenn.) -- Jordan
Duncan -- Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.)
Rep. Scott Garrett (N.J.) -- Webster
Rep. Chris Gibson (N.Y.) -- House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
Rep. Paul Gosar (Ariz.) -- Webster
Gohmert -- Gohmert
Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Kan.) -- Webster
Rep. Walter Jones (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Steve King -- Webster
Rep. Tom Massie (Ky.) -- Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.)
Rep. Mark Meadows (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Rich Nugent (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Gary Palmer (Ala.) -- Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.)
Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Scott Rigell (Va.) -- Webster
Rep. Marlin Stutzman (Ind.) -- Webster
Rep. Randy Weber (Tex.) -- Gohmert
Webster -- Webster
Yoho -- Yoho
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/06/here-are-the-republicans-who-voted-against-john-boehner-for-speaker/?postshare=7461420569849513

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The odd thing is that the Speaker of the house does not even have to be an elected official of the house.

It can be Joe/Jane Doe off the street if they are nominated, and they get a clear majority on the ballots.

So far, it has never happened.

In reality, I think the speaker of the house is selected from the small group of Representatives that don't take that one step forward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom