Books on the M1 Garand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on what you want out of the book. If you're looking more for the history of the M1 Garand, I'd recommend Bruce Canfield's "The M1 Garand Rifle". It's pricey, but chock full of the latest information on the development of the M1, and it does have some info on the parts and an ID guide. If you want a reference manual, I'd suggest Larry Babcock's "M1 Garand Photo Essay" or Scott Duff's Red (WW2) and Blue (post-war) books. Duff's books are good, though they're now somewhat dated.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to buy Canfield's new book. I like all the books I have and like Todd said, it depends on what you want out of the book.

Maintenance
The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide by Scott Duff
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck

Parts and Production History
The M1 Garand: World War II (AKA red book) by Scott Duff
The M1 Garand: Post World War II (AKA blue book) by Scott Duff

Design History
Hatcher's Book of the Garand by Julian Hatcher

I also have a couple of books by Jim Thompson. They don't really fit into any of the above categories and I recommend them more to round out a collection of garand books than for any particular purpose. Of the ones I listed above, I really like Hatcher's book. I found it to be an interesting read. The other books are good but not much fun to read.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just remember to skip the part that tells you "you need to change out all the parts to so and so, so it will be all original" what a load of crap and removes the historical value. you'll waste a ton of money and never increase the value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom