Books Worth reading (Any subject)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden
Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson
Point of Impact & Time to Hunt by Stephen Hunter
The Shining & The Stand by Stephen King

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not someone who generally enjoys reading. In my life, I've ready maybe 10 books since High School. My excuse has always been a short attention span and not wanting to read a book before reading the New Testament. During Lent of 2012, I got the audio recording of Johnny Cash reading the NT and read along with him. (I have copies on a flash drive for anyone wanting one, PM me your address or I will email a dropbox link). Since then still read seldomly until recently. I kept hearing about C.S. Lewis and especially his book, The Screwtape Letters. It's about a demon uncle, writing letters of advice to his demon nephew. Each chapter is a letter and it's pretty short readying. I was blown away by Lewis's insight to the humanity. My second C.S. Lewis book and current reading is Mere Christianity. This is a written adaptation of his radio broadcast to the British people during the start of WWII. For those that don't know C.S. Lewis, he was an atheist and Oxford professor. He converted to Christianity with the help of colleague J. R. R. Tolkien and by logic. He has a God-given talent of making sense of a living theology.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i read its mainly for work but here is what i have on my desk right now

"Start With Why" and "Leaders Eat Last" both by Simon Sinek

"The Goal" and "Critical Chain" by Eliyahu Goldratt

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Lean" by Flinchbaugh and Carlino

If im reading for fun i like any of the Cliver Cussler books that have Dirk Pitt in them.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara - awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1975. A well-written, realistic description of the battle of Gettysburg.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not someone who generally enjoys reading. In my life, I've ready maybe 10 books since High School. My excuse has always been a short attention span and not wanting to read a book before reading the New Testament. During Lent of 2012, I got the audio recording of Johnny Cash reading the NT and read along with him. (I have copies on a flash drive for anyone wanting one, PM me your address or I will email a dropbox link). Since then still read seldomly until recently. I kept hearing about C.S. Lewis and especially his book, The Screwtape Letters. It's about a demon uncle, writing letters of advice to his demon nephew. Each chapter is a letter and it's pretty short readying. I was blown away by Lewis's insight to the humanity. My second C.S. Lewis book and current reading is Mere Christianity. This is a written adaptation of his radio broadcast to the British people during the start of WWII. For those that don't know C.S. Lewis, he was an atheist and Oxford professor. He converted to Christianity with the help of colleague J. R. R. Tolkien and by logic. He has a God-given talent of making sense of a living theology.

C.S Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien are an interesting pair - friends who grew spiritually from their friendship, they also grew as authors and fellow author's group members. I enjoy reading each of them but I have to say that I enjoy Lewis' non-fiction over his fiction, whereas I very much enjoy Tolkien's fiction and think it superior to Lewis'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom