BOOMER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1728227022836.png

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Living in Oklahoma from 1977 to 2020 provided me with a really great life. My wife was born in McAlester in 1951 and joined the USN where she served as a Corpswave ((Hospital Corpsman). week she graduated from High School in Hartshorne. We first met in April 1970 at Portsmouth Naval Hospital where I was a USMC Sgt. and patient. She’d reported for duty after completing A-School about two months before. We dated through the Spring and Summer. When I was faced with my impending discharge in August and return to my home on Long Island, NY, I realized ‘she was the one’ and asked her to marry. She agreed but wanted to wait and It was no small task move up the date to December of that year. It took a year to get her transferred to Saint Albans Naval Hospital in NYC which was about 2 1/2 miles from our residence in Queens Village. She actually liked it there and I hated it after seeing the rest of the world. We visited her family on vacation every Summer, and in 1977 we found some acreage in Pittsburg County; I interviewed and was hired by McAlester Regional Hospital; and we moved to Oklahoma August near her family. I sure didn’t want our boys in the NYC Public School System They were raised in the country running around in the woods, swimming in ponds, quarries an creeks, and hunting when they wanted with .22 cal. rifles, and I spent so many hours of my free time time hunting and fishing that I should be ashamed! There are no regrets for my years spent in Oklahoma as I had a rewarding career, had time for outdoor sports with my boys, coached them in baseball, wrestling and soccer, and even trained and served as a reserve deputy for almost five years until my physical deterioration from rheumatoid disease caused them to let me go. This picture recalls a great memory from the 1980s.
1728368468790.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom