Botulism in coffee products recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.fastcompany.com/9114459...adly-botulinum-toxin-fears-2024-products-list

Here is a list of the products recalled nationwide.

https://www.fda.gov/media/179493/download?attachment

Here is the recall procedure

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...-products-due-potential-clostridium-botulinum

BY MICHAEL GROTHAUS 3 MINUTE READ

Coffee lovers beware: Hundreds of coffee products are being recalled due to fears that they may be the perfect breeding ground for a potentially deadly toxin. The coffee products were produced by Snapchill LLC of Green Bay, Wisconsin, but are sold under dozens of different coffee roaster names. Here’s what you need to know.

WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THE RECALL?​

Snapchill has initiated a voluntary recall of hundreds of its products after they were found to potentially be harboring grounds for the toxin botulinum, which can cause botulism, a sometimes fatal form of food poisoning.
According to the recall notice posted on the website of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the manufacturing process used for the products led to low acid levels in the canned foods. Low acid conditions can lead to the growth and production of botulinum.
According to the notice, no illnesses have been reported to date, and Snaphill says it’s not aware of any products that actually contain the botulin toxin. However, the products are being recalled out of an abundance of caution due to the possibility of botulism.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with this recall.

I have a question, out of the 250+ canned products made by this Snapchill company for a bunch of different companies, I wonder how many are the exact same recipe stuffed inside a differently marked can. I have seen production lines in manufacturing companies. They either make batches of stuff and clean the areas and equipment between products or have dedicated lines to mass produce.

My gut feeling is most of these products are a regional product and only distributed in their marketing area. I never see more than 10 to 15 canned coffee products on the shelf. This place manufactures hundreds of different products.

1719033485389.png

1719033541813.png

These are just the A's B's and C's.

I'm betting there are some different branded same recipe coffees out there. Who would know?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that's good to hear its voluntarily being recalled.
We buy our coffee in full bean bulk. 20 lb at a time that is vacuum sealed to be ground just prior to brewing.
When first starting this process which saves a ton of money over buying a pound or two at a time, we would vacuum seal and put in the cabinet. A week later the bags looked like balloons.
Apparently coffee bean outgas.
The solution was to vacuum and freeze which stops the outgassing.
Our beans of choice are a very dark roast that's really strong in coffee flavor.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that's good to hear its voluntarily being recalled.
We buy our coffee in full bean bulk. 20 lb at a time that is vacuum sealed to be ground just prior to brewing.
When first starting this process which saves a ton of money over buying a pound or two at a time, we would vacuum seal and put in the cabinet. A week later the bags looked like balloons.
Apparently coffee bean outgas.
The solution was to vacuum and freeze which stops the outgassing.
Our beans of choice are a very dark roast that's really strong in coffee flavor.
Where do you get your bulk beans?

Latest posts

Top Bottom