Bought some new (to me) equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad got an education as a diesel mechanic after WWII in Stillwater at OSU.
Whenever he worked on a vehicle at home my sister and i were required to be front and center handing tools and cleaning parts. We learned how to rebuild standard transmissions, rebuild engines, and do tuneups back in the distributor days when one had to gauge points and adjust timing manually.
Can’t do squat now without a plethora of cables and computers hooked up to the modern engines
To the plus side, 100K miles back in the day was the death knell of an engine.
Now 3X that number is normal.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one that had to fix flats with tubes?

I hated busting tires down by hand, finding the leak(s) in the tube, etc. and then airing up the tire with a tire pump. It takes a long time to pump up a tractor tire with a hand pump I'm tellin' y'all.

I do still have a few old Camel patches and sealing tool. Thank goodness for tubeless tires, and for compressors.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one that had to fix flats with tubes?
Nope; been there, done that. Ahh, the joys of working on farm equipment that's older than you are. I've also walked across a hay field with a pancake compressor in one hand, the air hose on the other shoulder, a farm jack on top of the hose, and a rubber mallet in there somewhere, all so I could reseat the bead on the front tire of a tractor running a disc mower.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh old stuff that needs fixing... converted and old "H" from 6v to 12v as the old generator just quit working and it was cheaper to get an old Chevy 1 wire alternator. While I was at it I upgraded the wiring as the old stuff was was not in good condition. Never dealt with the tires other than to air one up from time to time.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid, I used our 1928 Farmall working on the farm. All our implements had steel wheels until we added a Bush Hog mower with bias tires. Between the farm equipment, hay truck, and family vehicles, I fixed many a flat tire by hand......in the snow....uphill both ways....in 125 degree weather....at least it seemed like it at the time. I was sure proud when tubeless tires came out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom