1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Boy shot mom in face while traveling on I-95

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by HiredHand, Mar 23, 2021.

1. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    “A young boy managed to get hold of a gun Thursday afternoon and shot his mother in the face as they both rode in a work truck on Interstate 95, Johnston County authorities said.“ source: https://www.wral.com/boy-shot-mom-in-face-while-traveling-on-i-95/19582492/

Incidents like this aren’t an uncommon occurrence. It’s also why it’s highly recommended that you on body carry or use a secure storage device in your vehicle. Luckily, for both the child and mother the injury she sustained was non-life threatening.

RickN likes this.
  2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I got a phone call one night around 10 PM.
    Friend asked if I wanted a .38 special S&W revo. Told him I didn't but would check with friends that might.
    He told me that his 4 year old walked out of the bedroom with it cocked an hour earlier.
    Wife told him he had a choice.....either the gun goes tonight or he goes out the door.
    I got the gun, no charge.

If you have kids in the home, keep a biometric safe or something around to keep them safe but accessible.

surjimmy, dancer4life, chuter and 3 others like this.
  3. maximus

maximus Maximus

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Totally agree, many people dont go far enough to keep kids from being able to access them..... i remember finding my dads revolver under the mattress .... could have been disastrous

HiredHand likes this.
  4. Blue Heeler

Blue Heeler Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I agree ... having a safe when kids are around is a good idea.

Thinking back to my childhood and growing up in the early 60's ... dad never had a "safe". He had a belt.

STS11, 2busy, MacFromOK and 3 others like this.
  5. wawazat

wawazat Sharpshooter

Mine was the same in the 80s. Everything we have that is not being actively carried is locked away with our kids. My son is old enough to have gone to the range or pasture with me multiple times so he is fully aware and methodical about firearm handling. My daughter needs another couple of years though.

Blue Heeler and RETOKSQUID like this.
  6. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I know my dad had a shotgun when we were little, he liked to hunt dove and took us a few times. But to this day, I have no idea where he kept it.

7. Matt Giroux

Matt Giroux Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    There was always dads loaded duty pistol in the house that he kept within arms reach at all times, but everything else was locked up until we were about 10 or 12....then I got my first 20 gauge single shot break open to keep under the bed because the old man worked night shift. Always loved guns and have known how to shoot since I was four but never wanted to find out what the old man would do if we played with his pistol with out him around

8. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Most of society's problems today can be blamed on a lack of childhood discipline IMO.

A little respect for authority goes a long way.
    :drunk2:

STS11, Blue Heeler, BillPenn and 2 others like this.
  9. 1911master

1911master Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My wife asked me a few years ago after the grandkids left, Do you have any pistols out when they come over? I said yes, I have 2. My pocket pistol and my primary. She says where do you keep them? My response, there are only 2 places, my gun safe or on me!

10. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    When my kids could talk and swing a stick I took them shooting.
    They knew exactly what every gun I had would do and they had respect for them.
    No issues.
    Lack of education is the issue.
    My children knew a lot about many things at a young age.
    They could read a tape measure and dial calipers and knew wrench sizes before they got into fractions in math class.
    Ahead of the curve.