Building a new AR. Would like opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cossi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I cam across this Spikes lower in a trade. It is complete, ready to go. Here is my problem. What freaking caliber do I build it in? I have a .223, So was thinking about something different. From my understanding, these calibers don't require anything much but an upper, some require mags, I know.

.300 Blackout - Whats the point really? I have other .30cal guns
.223/5.56 - always a winner ammo is somewhat plentiful when people aren't freaking out, and somewhat inexpensive.

These two will definitely require me to get into reloading, as will the 300.
.458 SOCOM - Just the bad assery of such gun
.50 Beowulf - See above
Also the above two would not get shot that ridiculously often.

I know there are others, but I am just not sure what I really want to build yet. The simplicity of the .223 is tempting, not to mention the availability of parts.

I also know about the 6.5 grendel, and 6.8spc, but again the ammo availability it something to be concerned about.

I am fully aware of the current unavailability of most all ammo. I am not in a hurry to build this, but just doing my research right now. Any opinions?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1, A handgun caliber like 9mm would be cool. There are so many variants in the platform, there is no right answer lol. I've wanted to build a 458 for a while. Hard hitting

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 300, it uses the same mags, bolt, all you need is a different barrel. It will shoot anything from 110 grain bullets to 240, and there are more 30cal bullets to choose from than any other caliber. Any of those will also shoot in your other 30's too. I like having stuff that will interchange with other guns in the battery, bullets, bolts, brass, you get the idea. If you have too much 223 brass you can cut it and size to 300 and your in business there too. Just my 2 cents....

Cossi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just not completely sold on the 300 Blackout. I just don't completely understand the niche it is trying to fill. Or what purpose. Right now I am not into reloading, I just don't have the time and patience right now. The 300 just doesn't seem very different from the 30-30. The 50 beowulf is about a 150yd gun, so I think I have ruled it out, and the 458 isn't alot different. But those two do have some serious stud factor to them. I am thinking if I do the 458 they use the same mags, and it isn't proprietary. I can always get another upper later. Just trying to figure it out. I would love some more opinions, maybe from some people that have an AR458.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just not completely sold on the 300 Blackout. I just don't completely understand the niche it is trying to fill. Or what purpose. Right now I am not into reloading, I just don't have the time and patience right now. The 300 just doesn't seem very different from the 30-30. The 50 beowulf is about a 150yd gun, so I think I have ruled it out, and the 458 isn't alot different. But those two do have some serious stud factor to them. I am thinking if I do the 458 they use the same mags, and it isn't proprietary. I can always get another upper later. Just trying to figure it out. I would love some more opinions, maybe from some people that have an AR458.

If you have a .223, i think it would make sense to build it in that.

The 300BLK is really useful when it's subsonic and suppressed. Supersonic and unsuppressed, it's useful for hunting and home defense. Another good thing about the Blackout is that the brass is easily converted from .223.

ocphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't reload the 300 blackout may not be for you. There are a lot more people making ammo in 300 blackout but in the current market there isn't much available. I like it because of the projectile variability it gives. you can load up 110 grain bullets all the way up to 240. If you have a suppressor you can have some awesome subsonic rounds and if your not worried about suppressed you can run a lighter faster load. I have had fun with the caliber and having a bunch of AR parts and lots of 30 cal projectiles it was easy to just get a barrel and a set of dies and try it out. It is not for everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom