Bulk 5.56

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okreddirt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
When building up a stock of 5.56, what do you generally look for? Ammo prices have dropped but there are a million off name loads there that are available cheap. Seems like PMC X-tac is one of the commonly available options at a reasonable price. Any input? Thanks

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Okreddirt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
X-Tac is what the south korean military uses if I remember correctly (or at least that is what I have read). The big question is what is this stock for, target shooting, defensive use, long distance or something else?

Edit: SGAmmo had Lake City Winchester on sale in their mailer today, you might give that a look.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...mj-ammo-loose-made-lake-city-winchester-sp211
That looks like a solid deal. I’m in the early stages of my AR journey, this is mostly for stock for self defense and the occasional range day.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can use 55 grain for both target and self defense, but there are better self defense loads out there. Is your barrel 1:7 twist do you know? If so it will love heavier projectiles and it doesn't get much cheaper than AAC 77 grain OTM rounds. I have tested them and they might be slightly dirtier than the IMI rounds I like, but are significantly cheaper and quite accurate. They would be a good way of buying match rounds without breaking the bank.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that the PMC Xtac 62 gr were more accurate than most other 62gr LAP rounds in my DPMS mini-sass. Might not hold up for all AR configurations, but it's probably as good as any other. I'd recommend PMC Xtac and also finding some Fiocchi 55gr ballistic tip ammo. Between the 2 rounds, there isn't much you can't do out to 600 yards.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get IMI m193 ammo on sale or free shipping, it would be a good choice. Midway did have free shipping on the 420 round size package for $200. It's mil-spec 5.56mm ammo.
Love IMI, but it's kind of scarce at the moment. The IDF is using it all. Everything in inventory is from before or right after the October 7th attacks.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love IMI, but it's kind of scarce at the moment. The IDF is using it all. Everything in inventory is from before or right after the October 7th attacks.
Check Midway. They are one of the few places that have IMI in stock. Roughly 50 cents per round for the m193 IIRC. They have some IMI 308 as well but that is close to a dollar per round for FMJ.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check Midway. They are one of the few places that have IMI in stock. Roughly 50 cents per round for the m193 IIRC. They have some IMI 308 as well but that is close to a dollar per round for FMJ.
I bought some of their 77 grain from Midway a week or so ago, so I'm aware but thanks. SGAmmo has it also, but they wanted more money for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom