Buying as a Gift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have an odd question. I know buying as a gift is legal, but does the source of the money to buy as a gift matter?

My situation is this: It is my Father's birthday coming up and we were talking about what we wanted to get him, and we decided a new .22 might not be a bad option, since right now all he has is an Apache 66.

So, if we all split the cost and I go purchase the firearm for him as a gift and they reimburse me for their portions of the cost, am I still the purchaser? I'm pretty sure I am, but me and a coworker have been arguing the semantics of what would be considered a straw purchase in this situation, and I would like to see some other opinions on the situation.

What would be the difference between that, and someone giving me money to buy a firearm for myself?

Thanks

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone involved in the purchase a prohibited person?

Nope, everyone in the purchase can legally own a firearm.

You would be fine. As long as your father can legally own the firearm, and I'm sure he can, I see no problems with your situation.

Yes, he can legally own a firearm.

I mean, if you REALLY stretched it, I guess you could argue something against it, but I just couldn't find anything in the laws that would make it seem that it is not legal. I'm glad others opinions are the same. He bought me a 10/22 for my 16th Birthday and when I moved out, I took that with me many years ago. Ever since he's just had that little Apache, which isn't a bad rifle, but I would really like to update that for him.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You're good to go, as long as you dont buy from Dong's.

I was asked to leave one time when I was in there, for informing a lady that was buying a pistol for home protection while her son was in boot camp.

Her son was in the store as well and she said to him "You pick it out because its going to be yours when you get back from Iraq".

The guy behind the counter abruptly said loudly "Nope, cant sell you the gun, thats a straw purchase".

I couldnt help myself as usual and corrected him not only that it wasnt a srtaw purchase but that an 18y/o can legally own a handgun.

The owner's husband then joined in and said that I was wrong and apparently know more than him about it since he is an LEO.

I said I obviously do. I was then asked to leave and have not been back.

a little caveat though, since FFL dealers are accountable to serious issues, they can and will reserve a wide discretion on who they sell to. Even if they are uninformed and incorrect on the law, that doesnt mean that have to sell you a gun, they can refuse selling to anyone for any reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom