CA: De-Certified Handgun Models

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTH.... buncha revolvers on that list.

Can't fathom the s*** that gets some of these guns banned. What, no lock or something? Screw California.
I'm no authority on CA regs, but I think that each gun model has to be re-tested/approved each year. Not type of gun or brand, but specific SKUs. EG..they'll have a black Glock approved but the same gun in FDE isn't. The testing costs money and they just aren't interested in spending it on some models. I think that this is why Glock still makes the Gen 3s but could be wrong on that.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very quickly, since I have to blast off for son's Scout meeting:

A handgun will drop off the CA "roster" for two main reasons:
1) The manufacturer stops paying the annual "fee" (aka the Extortion tax) required to keep the item on the roster. It's been a while since I looked at this, but I think it is something like $200 per SKU number per year. No other action is required to keep a handgun model on the list other than the payment of the fee.
2) The manufacturer has made changes to the materials, design, or manufacturing location. Changes like a new color don't cause something to drop of the roster, but most other changes, even relatively trivial ones, do.

Getting a new semi-automatic handgun added to the Roster requires that microstamping be incorporated into the design. To date no manufacturers have figured out how to do that to the satisfaction of the CA overlords.

Source: I escaped from the place in 2012 and still pay attention to what's going on out there since I have lots of friends and family who haven't bailed out. I'm sure everyone will now realize that things here in OK started going to hell in 2012, so it's probably my fault. :wave:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Very quickly, since I have to blast off for son's Scout meeting:

A handgun will drop off the CA "roster" for two main reasons:
1) The manufacturer stops paying the annual "fee" (aka the Extortion tax) required to keep the item on the roster. It's been a while since I looked at this, but I think it is something like $200 per SKU number per year. No other action is required to keep a handgun model on the list other than the payment of the fee.
2) The manufacturer has made changes to the materials, design, or manufacturing location. Changes like a new color don't cause something to drop of the roster, but most other changes, even relatively trivial ones, do.

Getting a new semi-automatic handgun added to the Roster requires that microstamping be incorporated into the design. To date no manufacturers have figured out how to do that to the satisfaction of the CA overlords.

Source: I escaped from the place in 2012 and still pay attention to what's going on out there since I have lots of friends and family who haven't bailed out. I'm sure everyone will now realize that things here in OK started going to hell in 2012, so it's probably my fault. :wave:
Dang it, Scott. You know we have to pin this on someone!

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
The only appropriate response to california BS gun legislation is for gun & ammo manufacturers to stop pandering to the evil that is california. That would include stopping all sales to california of any firearm or ammo, particularly to government and law enforcement.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadow and Scott pretty much summed it up as accurately as i know the law. There are ways around it. Just because you can't buy them in CA doesn't mean you can't get one. Legally, if my Father in Law in OK were to by an off roster pistol in Tulsa. He could legally gift or sell it to his daughter, my wife, and then she could give it to me for my birthday. It is another reason of a 1000 why I'm getting the hell out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom