Cable guys or DIY Antenna guys...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to attach an RG6 connector to coax labeled CATV 20 AWG, is that doable? Am I using the wrong connector?

Because I am having the WORST time slipping that connector all the way down over the cable. I'm pushing and twisting so hard the cable is bulging below the connector and it still won't slip over. I feel like I'm trying to push a rope here.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much of the outer insulation do you have striped off? IIRC you want 1/8" of the copper inside to be protruding from the inner insulation, and about 1/8" of the outer insulation to be removed behind that.

Edit: also some connectors will want more of the inner copper exposed too.

Last edited:

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much of the outer insulation do you have striped off? IIRC you want 1/8" of the copper inside to be protruding from the inner insulation, and about 1/8" of the outer insulation to be removed behind that.

Edit: also some connectors will want more of the inner copper exposed too.

I'm doing .25 and .25 - that's what is recommended in the literature that accompanied my coax installation kit.

IIRC, RG6 is 18awg and RG59 is 20awg....maybe try a 59 connector?

I suspected this myself, but in my reading I found that signal quality in RG59 is inferior to RG6 so they typically use in CCTV set-ups and things of that nature. Surely Cox isn't running their digital cable and internet through RG59???

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried again diligently on a piece of scrap and I am convinced I have the wrong size connector. I'll be darned if I can't find a concrete answer on the internet though, it's really weird.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something sounds off that an RG6 won't slip on to a rg59 rated cable. Should actually be very loose as the overall diameter of an rg6 is larger .24" vs .26"

http://www.therealcableguy.com/catv-cables-and-components.htm

Scroll down on the link and you can see a chart comparing some common RG sizes.

And no Cox should not be using rg59 at all on their side. You will generally only see it when someone does some unauthorized patch work.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It fits snug over the exterior of the line but the internal sleeve in the connectors that is supposed slip inside between the braided and foil layers seems too big. It's mashing into the black exterior layer instead of slipping into place. I'm going to try another brand of connector.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like what happens when you put a RG-6 connector on RG-59 cable. Need to get another connector. RG-59 can work over short runs, like wall plate to a box, but RG-6 is the standard at cox, and has been since at least 2001. Doesnt mean that some houses don't have RG-59 ran in/on them from before that and it hasnt been replaced. Either that, or someone didnt want to pay Cox to run a line, so did it themselves. What people don't realize, is that on the norm, its cheaper to pay Cox to do it, than go buy a cable at the store and try to do it yourself.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's RG 59, the 59 connectors fit like a champ. Which is good for the moment but disappointing in the grand scheme of things because now I feel like I ought to get a roll of RG 6 and run new lines.

And typically I let Cox handle the cabling but in this case I'm setting up my antenna with the intention of canceling my cable if all goes well, so I'd guess the folks at Cox won't be too interested in helping me. Plus this is long over do, I should already know how to do this kind of stuff as often as I like to move things around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom