Camp Dutch Oven for SHTF cooking? Anyone have experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a dutch oven for camp or backyard cooking? Thinking about adding one to the prep kit. I have never used one, but from what I read they can be a one stop cook everything kind of tool. I'd rather not have my ground hog on a stick if I can help it :> I know it's not something we would be carrying in a backpack, but it might make a big difference in the quality of the food if I had to cook with a fire on the back porch.

Is a 6qt big enough or do you need an 8qt?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUH/ref=gno_cart_title_1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5LjJnazVuA

Thanks for the great comments. I love that other Dutch oven.

Last edited:

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Usually at the Lazy E area during the wild life expo there is a group of people that show up and cook with dutch ovens.

The thing I remember the most is they used Kingsford Charcoal, or some other kind of charcoal. They would take the diameter of the pot there were using and double it for the number of bricketts to use. 1/2 on top and 1/2 on bottom. Then they would split the bricketts on the bottom onto thirds and put one third one the top.

example. using an 12 in pot. Use 24 brickettes. 12 on top 12 on bottom. then 1/3 of 12=4 so they would move 4 from the bottom to the top. total number is 16 on top and 8 on bottom. this would be enough to cook/bake whatever they were cooking.

I did have some cinnamon rolls they baked in the oven and they were delicious.

I think all dutch oven cooking should be done like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEEEPwWMPgs

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Groundhog Pie

INGREDIENTS
Servings: 6-8
1 groundhog skinned and cleaned
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup green pepper
1/2 tablespoon minced parsley
1 tablespoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 1/2 tablespoon flour
3 cups broth
Biscuits:
1 cup flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon fat
1/4 cup milk
DIRECTIONS
Cut groundhog into 2 or 3 pieces.

Parboil for 1 hour.

Remove meat from bones in large pieces. Add onion, green pepper, parsley, salt, pepper, and flour to the broth and srit until it thickens.

If the broth does not measure 3 cups, add water.

Add the meat to the broth mixture and stir thoroughly.

Pour into baking dish.

For biscuits:

sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in the fat and add the liquid.

Stir until the dry ingredients are moist.

Roll only enough to make it fit the dish.

Place dough on top of meat, put in a hot oven (400 degrees F.) and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until dough is browned.

Now give it a try with the Dutch Oven and let us know how it turns out. Recipe is compliments of Google search, claims to be "good eatin".

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is a dutch oven group in the okc area, they get together and cook their favorite recipes. several cowboy shooters in the group. pm if you want contact info

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After riding out hurricane Ike in Houston I made the commitment to add more cast iron to our cookware. I now have three Dutch ovens and half a dozen other cast iron skillets. Of course now I haven't had to go without power since but still use them every day. I would like to spend more time learning to use the Dutch ovens on an open fire.

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dutch oven cook offs! Be warned though most rules require lies and harassment by fellow cooks! Baking takes a little trial and error but that's where u run into the charcoal on top and the lid of the oven. As far as cooking on a fire adding and stirring is about it! A good easy one to start with is cooking bacon first, adding hash browns into the bacon and grease and cooking together (may need to add oil) then stir in the eggs and cheese and stir. Great easy one to try. Other than that u can get about as creative as you want. Biggest thing is not letting it dry out. It's addictive!

Latest posts

Top Bottom