Can Anyone Here Identify This Berry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are growing wild along my fence line. I believe they're black huckleberries but don't know for sure. And apparently black huckleberries would be unusual in this area. That's the closest I've found after searching online.

Berry A.jpg

Berry B.jpg

This guy was pretty fond of them:
Berry C.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pop one in yur mouth and see if it is tasty.
It is not polk and not poison ivy so I would taste it.
If it is yucky spit it out.
Are black huckleberries edible?

People of all cultures love these huckleberries. Today, the berries are eaten fresh, baked in pancakes, pies, and muffins, canned, frozen, or made into jams and jellies. Berries are usually picked in late July or August. The leaves can be used fresh or dried to make a tea.

Why can't you eat huckleberries raw?

However, one of the keys to these berries is that they must be cooked for their flavor to develop. If you eat them unripe, they are toxic, if you eat them ripe but raw, they should no longer be toxic but they really have no taste or maybe a slightly bitter taste.

I stay away from berries and plants in the wild just because of this stuff. In the words of Uell Gibbons, "some parts are edible."

Some plants are edible at certain times of the year like Johnsongrass. But if it is stressed, it can develop cyanide. Dad used to grab a stick, pull it and chew on the soft green stem which had about a teaspoon of water until I showed him the cyanide bit.

SOme plants the leaves are edible and not the fruit, some are vis versa. I'm still alive and I don't graze.

Latest posts

Top Bottom