Can they post "no guns allowed" or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packnpair

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's building has multiple tenants, all offices are accessed through internal hallways with no more than one single access to any office. (A typical business rental property)

All of a sudden, she shows up to work, and a gun buster sign has been posted (by the building owners, who have NO employees on site, NOT the individual tenants who occupy the bldg.) . There are numerous CCW permit holders in her office including her.

Her office does not prohibit their employees from carrying, the question is.............can the owners arbitrarily post that sign and the tenants have to abide by it?

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They own the building...they call the shots.

Probably the owners protecting themselves from the lawyers.

Not necessarily, they may own it but have leased it out. It could be a lease violation. If your use is negatively impacted, then you would have a good argument. If I own a rental property, I cant just come in and remove the toilets, etc.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the businesses have outside entrances, the the businesses can have their own policies, much like anchor stores at malls. However if the only access is through the common areas that are not leased and therefore the property of the building owner then you are out of luck. The building owner has posted about the common areas and if you have to pass through those, you are out of luck. Much like a mall.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily, they may own it but have leased it out. It could be a lease violation. If your use is negatively impacted, then you would have a good argument. If I own a rental property, I cant just come in and remove the toilets, etc.

But you could come in and say no dogs allowed. It might be a way for them to get out of the lease via a lease violation (like you said). I would discuss it with building mgmt to find out the reasoning.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post, hrdware. Assuming that's the statutory case, I'd say the wife should be just fine at work then, as long as there wasn't a flashing on the way in or out.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post, hrdware. Assuming that's the statutory case, I'd say the wife should be just fine at work then, as long as there wasn't a flashing on the way in or out.

Not just on the way in or out, but all throughout the day as well. Unless of course the business has its own outside entrance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom