Carry guns thoughts/review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Within the last month or so, I have been trying narrow down my gun collection and decide on a carry piece or two. My buddy has been buying up a lot of carry pistols so we have been to the range a few times recently and I've had the pleasure of shooting several small pocket pistols and compact pistols.

My two carry pistols: I have narrowed everything down to a Glock 27 and a Khar cm9. My 27 is stock except for the addition of truglo nite sites. My buddy has a 26 I was able to shoot as well. I did not notice a huge recoil difference in the two. I would choose the 27 again since it is the same size but packs a bigger punch. It can also be converted to 9mm for cheaper plinking fairly easily. I was able to shoot the thing very accurately in slow controlled shooting as well as rapid fire. I am now researching and deciding on a good iwb holster for toting this thing around

The cm9 had me frustrated last night. I had a tough time disassembling the pistol and an issue with the recoil spring n reassembly. So, going to the range today, I was prepared to be frustrated and have many issues. On the first round, I had a stove pipe. I then proceeded to shoot 154 rounds without a single malfunction! The trigger smoothed out over the course of the session and the gun was a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate for its size. I am going to out another 100 rds through it then I will feel very comfortable carrying it. It fits in the front pocket of my jeans very well. I have a galco iwb and am getting a desantis pocket holster.

I also had a chance to shoot and handle a few others

Sig 290. The 290 was slightly larger and heavier tha the cm9. It felt good in hand and was accurate when shot. I thought the felt recoil of the 290 was more than the cm9. It was a little snappier. Only issues with the gun was over the course of 100rds, there was 15-20 light strikes on the primer. The gun is going back to sig for some work.

Khar p380. I didn't get to shoot it, but I did handle it. My buddy put 150 rds through it with zero issues. The gun is nice and small. Hides in the pocket incredibly well.

KelTec p32. P32 was shot a while back by me and my buddy. We put 100 rds through it and had 80-90 failures to feed and eject. Gun went back to KelTec. Trigger assembly was replaced and feed ramp polished. Today, we put 50 rds through it and had 4 stove pipes. Overall, much better but not perfect. We need to put another 150 rds through it to see if it can break in nice. The gun is very small and easy to shoot.

Seecamp 32. This gun ran flawless. It is a nice piece of machinery. It was hard for me to shoot without it having sights. I spend so much time focusing on the front site that point shooting is not natural to me right now. I love the gun, but it is definitely for last ditch close work.

Rohrbaugh r9s. My buddy has two of these. Did not shoot either, but was able to handle them. Nice light package. Sites are not really usable. Would prefer some texture on the grips, as they are pretty slick as is. Can't say if it is worth the high price tag or not without shooting it first.

Keltec 380. Had one and sold it it to my cousin than needed a carry piece. My buddy has one as well. Neither of us ever had any issues with these pistols. Good piece for the money and purpose.

Masterpiece arms 380. These is a tiny .380. Can disappear in a pocket. The trade off is the recoil is sharp. It almost hurts to shoot. Like most pocket pistols, sites are an afterthought. We had some feeding issues In the first 2-3 mags, but it ran smoothly for the next 50 or so rounds. For the price, this is a nice last ditch back up carry piece.

Keltec pf9. My buddy has 2 of these. No issues and shoots well. Too big for a pocket piece, but nice slim carry piece for the money.

After trying so many different guns as well as having owned and carried several others through the years, I am finding the glock platform hard to beat. I've owned 4 glocks (still own 2) and have never had an issue with one ever. The work every time

My other observation is that as well as I like the size and concealability of the pocket pistols, the trade off of lack of functional sites is not worth it to me. I would prefer to dress in a manner to carry a little larger pistol with good sites vs something tiny and light but no sites. For me, e cm9 and the g27 fit me well. I shoot both well and they function very well. I feel confident with both. I am greatful I had the chance to handle and shoot many others. If I do decide to get a smaller pocket pistol. I think my choice will be the seecamp. I like that one a lot. Now I just need to convince a friend to buy a beretta nano so I can try it too!

M

Matt Basterson

i have a lotta brands, calibres, and sizes. i almost ALWAYS carry somethin' small and light. i don't care if it's small calibre and i don't care if it only holds a few rounds, if it ain't COMFORTABLE as well as concealable, i don't take it.

the exception is when i'm after armadillos on my property, i carry a super blackhawk in a cowboy rig loaded with 44special. green dot powder and semiwadcutters that i cast from wheelweights.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ~sorta~ have the same problem though my carry guns are a little different. Heck, I've been known to carry an old Detective Special in .32 from time to time. I've got a Glock 26 (had a few 27s before the 26) but I find my most common carry gun is a Sig P238. Such a slick little gun.

Last edited:

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my favorite carry guns is a Glock 19. Right up there with that is a Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum when I'm wearing a coat.

When my clothing is light like swimming suit light, a Kel Tec P3AT or a Kahr P380 is hard to beat. Interestingly, I've never had problems with ammo or had a jam with the Kel Tec but the Kahr jams on hollow points.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry my Glock 27 or 23 off duty. But I am waiting on on my new S&W 386 to come in. I also just purchased a Rock Island 1911 CS Tactical....so many choices....what to do what to do....

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After having recovered rounds from various test media, studying ballistic and after action reports, and even interviewing real life 'shootees', I cannot condifently carry anything less than a .38.
In a world where all handgun rounds suck I simply prefer to remove as much hardware error as I am capable of....and I've never encountered any situation where only a mousegun and/or caliber was small enough.
Hell, I can't even *think* of one...

Latest posts

Top Bottom