Cheapest berm retainer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This would be ideal. I want a compound like they used overseas. I forgot where, but I have seen a commercial range that used them as exterior perimeter and inside division for the separate parts of the range. They are big and sturdy. It would help to have a front end loader to fill and move them...and some privates for support
We built shoothouses on our firebases as well as anything else you could think of that giant blocks could do. You fold them out, arrange them how you want, wire them together, then pour dirt in them until they are full. Then next layer.
If you go three high, your base needs to be two wide or they won't find your body for a few years until they figure out it fell on you. lol

Maybe I could/should utilize skeletons from the laser cutter at work? Be better than hog fence and they're essentially free. Could weld a few together and line it with fabric then backfill?

You might be out-thinking it. These are just Gabion walls that some brit figured out to put lawn fabric in and sell them to the GOV for millions. Galavanized square wire fence with fiber weed fabric to hold in the dirt. You see fences and walls made out of them in the fancy neighborhoods. If you use rock and concrete chunks to fill them, then you don't need the fabric and you save more money. Or combo with fabrication and wire and rocks.

Gabion wall
1685905285364.png
1685905333793.png

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought these from Behlen in a surplus auction. They make the nice grain bins and quonset huts. These are obviously curved which should fit the shape of the area well and provide some rigidity too. They're 29' long. I figure bolt a few them together to make a curved wall add a few support posts for good measure and I should he set.

I think I'll need 3-4 of them for the retaining wall and the remainder (there were 9 in the lot) may turn into a small shed roof for the ATV or other various projects.

Screenshot_20230624-142913_Chrome.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll get seeded....just don't need the back slope taking up so much space, hence the desire for a vertical wall. This will allow me to get it closer to the fenceline and have more usable berm width with the same amount of dirt.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a guy on here called Mr Glock that has a whole passel of free ties but he's from Noneyubusiness Oklahoma which seems to be too far from anyone on this forum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom