Chicken help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Red Star chickens, for layers. They are basically color coded with a sex linked color, so there is no danger you will end up with roosters instead of hens. I keep mine in a chicken tractor, so I can move it from spot to spot. That keeps the smell down, as long as the tractor is moved every couple of days. The advantage of the tractor is that it keeps the hens safe and allows them access to fresh grass like a free range hen.

Pics of chicken tractor please.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the chicken tractor, it is 16x4, has handles on the front and wheels on the back to help move it from place to place. chicken tractor.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the chicken tractor, it is 16x4, has handles on the front and wheels on the back to help move it from place to place. View attachment 47818

Is there a chicken wire bottom floor to keep predators from digging under? I lost 15 turkey poults to something digging under the cage walls.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, no floor. I was worried about something digging under too, but I've been using this tractor for at least 4 years and haven't had anything dig under yet. You could add a wire floor, I don't think it would hurt a thing, the hens just wouldn't be able to scratch around and get worms.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you have a chkn tractor then you poll don't need one rooster to protect the flock. Just cook em. I used to teach mine tricks when feeding. Lots of fun for me and the kids.

Enjoy your chicken fry

Latest posts

Top Bottom