China makes nuclear power break through

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is when some big event happens that causes reactors to melt down and throw radiation into our air. Nuclear power is very "green" when done right from what I hear. I'm just really freaked out by the possibilty of our air and crops being poisoned if something goes wrong.

And it's a common concern, but if you do some looking you really have more to worry about from other power sources.

I mean, how many billions of barrels of oil have we dumped into our oceans having massive and far reaching consequences? But a small amount of radioactive material gets released and all of a sudden the world is coming to an end. How many areas have been effected as a result of the coal mining industry? How many people has the coal industry killed? The answer is a heck of a lot more people than nuclear power plants.

Last edited:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have not even figured out regular fusion and you think aneutronic is a solution? Aneutronic fusion requires way higher temperatures
than regular fusion. It is interesting research and nothing more. Unless you have information that leads you to believe that a power plant
is about to get built any day now.
read the thread next time:
"Why isn't the US investing money to research and improve nuclear power?"

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
read the thread next time:

I read it. The guy is talking about research to improve current designs of reactors and reprocessing. Like China.
They are going to use their advancements now.
Fusion is something in the future, possibly in the far future. It is also possible that it will never become technically or economically viable.

The discussion ignores the fact that no matter how good the design, we are through building nukes. The population is conditioned to be scared
of the idea of a nuclear powerplant in their area and natural gas is cheaper. Companies cannot afford Black Fox adventures. Something that can be built
in a short period takes decades and at the end it may never get built by the time we are through with the law suits.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, how many billions of barrels of oil have we dumped into our oceans having massive and far reaching consequences?

I don't know, billions is a big number.
Whatever we dumped is a lot less than what nature dumps every day through fissures on the bottom. Every time there is a dump, the Greens come with ridiculous predictions of a disaster
that doesn't happen. The reason the Persian Gulf survived after Saddam dumped the oil despite the predictions is that oil is a natural product and nature does a pretty good job of handling it. Same thing here with the latest leak, everything is back to normal.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read it. The guy is talking about research to improve current designs of reactors and reprocessing. Like China.
They are going to use their advancements now.
Fusion is something in the future, possibly in the far future. It is also possible that it will never become technically or economically viable.

The discussion ignores the fact that no matter how good the design, we are through building nukes. The population is conditioned to be scared
of the idea of a nuclear powerplant in their area and natural gas is cheaper. Companies cannot afford Black Fox adventures. Something that can be built
in a short period takes decades and at the end it may never get built by the time we are through with the law suits.

Odd that you poo-poo "the future, possibly in the far future" when the topic is how the Chinese are just now implementing something that they spent twenty years researching. Read the thread, man, seriously.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know, billions is a big number.
Whatever we dumped is a lot less than what nature dumps every day through fissures on the bottom. Every time there is a dump, the Greens come with ridiculous predictions of a disaster
that doesn't happen. The reason the Persian Gulf survived after Saddam dumped the oil despite the predictions is that oil is a natural product and nature does a pretty good job of handling it. Same thing here with the latest leak, everything is back to normal.

Looking at it billions was high, looks like worldwide oil spillage is around 50 million barrels total.

I do know however that TMI's world ending partial meltdown released less I-131 than Oklahoma City goes through in 2 weeks for thyroid therapy. Additionally there have been no deaths associated with the accident as claimed by both the operators of the plant and several peer reviewed studies. Coal mining kills at least 20 people in the US each year with some years having up to 50 miners killed.

There have been 2 really major (INES 7) accidents at nuclear facilities, neither of which will ever come close to effecting the number of people burning coal all over the place does.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at it billions was high, looks like worldwide oil spillage is around 50 million barrels total.

I do know however that TMI's world ending partial meltdown released less I-131 than Oklahoma City goes through in 2 weeks for thyroid therapy. Additionally there have been no deaths associated with the accident as claimed by both the operators of the plant and several peer reviewed studies. Coal mining kills at least 20 people in the US each year with some years having up to 50 miners killed.

There have been 2 really major (INES 7) accidents at nuclear facilities, neither of which will ever come close to effecting the number of people burning coal all over the place does.

I agree, the TMI was a non event. It served well for the propaganda machine that scared the people. I'd rather live next to a nuke than a coal plant. Many think that a reactor can explode like a bomb. They don't understand the difference between reactor fuel and weapons grade material.
Interestingly, a person living in Chernobyl today gets less total radiation than a person living in Denver.
We completely ended efforts to improve existing designs. If we could build a nuke today, we would have to hire the French or the Japanese. We fell way behind in nuclear R&D.

Latest posts

Top Bottom