CMP Gun Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll probably want to shoot it. I don't know much about them.

That being the case, I'd almost bet that you'd get a better deal on a shooter from the CMP than just about anywhere else. Many on Gunbroker, when considering milsurps, seems to think their rifle is a rare collectible that should command a premium.

I'd look seriously at three grades for a shooter.

Service Garade, good all around choice. The 'drawback' is that you may get a modern birch stock. Nothing wrong at all with birch,especially for a shooter. Some feel that a garand is supposed to have walnut though. Recently there have been a few reports that some service grades are coming out of the CMP with walnut but I wouldn't plan on it. Typical service grades show a little evidence of honest work, but are rarely beat up looking.

Service Grade Special, a nice rifle with metal in collector grade condition. The barrel will be great but the stock will be modern walnut. These look brand new!

Special Grade, a nice rifle with a brand new barrel. These, like the Service Grade Specials look brand new. The metal on these has been refinished though so it is not in collector grade condition. Like I said the barrels are brand new. Stocks will all be modern walnut.

So, are you considering mail order, or hand selecting? Another option sometimes available is to have somebody else select a rifle for you. It is a great option when you can't make the trip and can't stand the idea of luck of the draw. Personally I really like Service Grades and luck of the draw vs. hand select is a wash; there is a certain magic in not knowing what is in the box and there is also a certain magic in wandering the store.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CMP sets the bar for price, quality, and authenticity. If you can stand the wait, it's the only way to go.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best deal is the 995USD Special Grade in either .30 US or 7.62x51. I haven't seen a better deal, and the rifle is almost new after the refurb. New wood and barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That being the case, I'd almost bet that you'd get a better deal on a shooter from the CMP than just about anywhere else. Many on Gunbroker, when considering milsurps, seems to think their rifle is a rare collectible that should command a premium.

I'd look seriously at three grades for a shooter.

Service Garade, good all around choice. The 'drawback' is that you may get a modern birch stock. Nothing wrong at all with birch,especially for a shooter. Some feel that a garand is supposed to have walnut though. Recently there have been a few reports that some service grades are coming out of the CMP with walnut but I wouldn't plan on it. Typical service grades show a little evidence of honest work, but are rarely beat up looking.

Service Grade Special, a nice rifle with metal in collector grade condition. The barrel will be great but the stock will be modern walnut. These look brand new!

Special Grade, a nice rifle with a brand new barrel. These, like the Service Grade Specials look brand new. The metal on these has been refinished though so it is not in collector grade condition. Like I said the barrels are brand new. Stocks will all be modern walnut.

So, are you considering mail order, or hand selecting? Another option sometimes available is to have somebody else select a rifle for you. It is a great option when you can't make the trip and can't stand the idea of luck of the draw. Personally I really like Service Grades and luck of the draw vs. hand select is a wash; there is a certain magic in not knowing what is in the box and there is also a certain magic in wandering the store.

Very good advice in your posts!

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have known about the CMP for some time. After reading this thread and looking at the website again it almost makes me want to drive to Alabama and buy a rifle. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom