Cold Storage/Cellar in SE Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on an earthen root cellar and thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback on my concrete idea.

1. A concrete basement under a 12 x 12 garden shed.
2. The exterior concrete walls would be coated with tar and I would build a french drain around the perimeter taking any water accumulation away from the structure.
3. I would insulate the floor of the garden shed.
4. two pipes would allow heated air to move out of the cellar and one to allow cool air in.
5. the floor would be concrete.

I have not built a cellar before in this area and I have no idea of what to expect for temperature and humidity. I would appreciate any and all advice from those who have built cellars.

Thank you!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What temperature are you looking for? My parents have a in ground storm shelter. It is NOT one of the 2 piece that is only halfway buried. Floor/walls/ceiling was all formed and poured in place. It has 2 vents and it stays pretty cool. If the roof was shaded it would probably stay cooler.

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I've read suggests a temperature between 32 and 45 is ideal for a cellar. I believe that the temperature of earth 6 to 8 feet down is 48-52°F . So there is a difference between what is possible for a buried cellar at least in the hot months. In the winter you shouldn't have to worry as much about it as you can create the two pipes I mentioned above will bring in colder air to the bottom of the cellar and remove the hotter air at the top of the cellar.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I've read suggests a temperature between 32 and 45 is ideal for a cellar. I believe that the temperature of earth 6 to 8 feet down is 48-52°F . So there is a difference between what is possible for a buried cellar at least in the hot months. In the winter you shouldn't have to worry as much about it as you can create the two pipes I mentioned above will bring in colder air to the bottom of the cellar and remove the hotter air at the top of the cellar.

You will not see those temps in Oklahoma. I had a cement cellar dug into a hill side at one of our homes that was 4 feet below the surface, meaning it had 4 feet of soil on top. Ithe walls were 10’ thick, the ceiling annd outer wall were 12” thick. It was 18’x25’ with a dividing wall that made it two 9’x12.5’ rooms with an insulated metal door in the middle and same at entrance. Never would get below 60. It was perfect for canned goods and storage of vegetables. It had a 20ft x 3ft escape tunnel out one side of the back room, the tunnel would average 57deg. It had 4’ of top soil on it tapered down to 6”.

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
You will not see those temps in Oklahoma. I had a cement cellar dug into a hill side at one of our homes that was 4 feet below the surface, meaning it had 4 feet of soil on top. Ithe walls were 10’ thick, the ceiling annd outer wall were 12” thick. It was 18’x25’ with a dividing wall that made it two 9’x12.5’ rooms with an insulated metal door in the middle and same at entrance. Never would get below 60. It was perfect for canned goods and storage of vegetables. It had a 20ft x 3ft escape tunnel out one side of the back room, the tunnel would average 57deg. It had 4’ of top soil on it tapered down to 6”.
My place is in the Ouachitas and very shaded, I wonder if that will make a difference...

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My place is in the Ouachitas and very shaded, I wonder if that will make a difference...

There are maps of temperature depths per region. Oklahoma is a warm region. In my teens when we were drilling water wells I measured depth temps down until we had to start inducing water to get the cuttings out. Anywhere from 0 to 35ft. It varied between 50 and 60 degrees all over central Oklahoma, and did not vary much at all. Therefore no root cellar will get below those temps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom